Chapter 28

Mikayla was back in Damarion's castle. Well, the castle where Damarion had brought her before. She was still unsure if it was technically his castle or not.

"Where are Sadie and Jess?" Mikayla asked.

"Third challenge," Damarion said.

"You separated us?" Mikayla asked.

Damarion shrugged. "It was getting difficult to think of challenges that were hard enough for all three of you together."

"We didn't agree to that," Mikayla said.

"We didn't specify," Damarion said. "Therefore, I consider it fair game."

Mikayla crossed her arms over her chest as Damarion took a seat on what appeared to be a throne. "If Sadie and Jess are doing the third challenge, what am I doing here?"

Damarion smiled. "Doing your third challenge."

Mikayla suddenly understood. "You."

"Yes, me of course."

She frowned. "You want me to defeat you? And then I win?"

"Indeed," Damarion said.

"But if you're dead, you can't bring my friends back," Mikayla said.

Damarion waved his hand and a goblet appeared in it. "Yes, that is certainly true."

"You promised that if I beat you, my friends would be safe." Mikayla was mad at herself for not seeing this sooner. Of course she shouldn't have expected Damarion to play clean.

"Oaths don't bind the dead." Damarion took a sip from his goblet. "If it eases your mind, you were never likely to beat me any how."

Mikayla took a step back from Damarion. As much as she wanted to put an end to him here and now, she couldn't. She had to be smarter. Smarter than she was. And she needed Sadie and Jess to survive for as long as it took her to figure out how to take Damarion down.