Chapter 4: Coffee

Sixamians have the power to analyze the personality of other creatures. This gave us insight into the main traits of whoever we used our powers on, as well as a compatibility percentage that would determine how likely we were to get along with the target platonically or even romantically. We could also empathize with others and share their emotions. As a result we often developed a strong connection with whoever we used our mind powers on.

Unfortunately, this drained our energy, and whoever we used our powers on would feel it. The first time I analyzed someone's personality, I had to lay down for a few hours because of a terrible migraine. The first time this ability was used on me, it felt as if something was being yanked out of my head. It didn't hurt, but it sure knocked me off my feet for a second.

Now that I could properly use my powers, however, I didn't know how I could live without them, especially now that I was on another planet. I had to be careful. Using my abilities had become a habit; I used them to help get along with everyone I met.

I'd somehow made my way across the street from the park to a small building where Earthlings sat at tables, drinking from cups. The door opened and some people stepped out and immediately the most pleasant smell wafted into my nostrils. It was so pleasant, in fact, that I couldn't help the growing smile on my face as I walked inside.

The inside of the building was small, with a few tables and sofas for people to sit at. There was only one left empty so I made my way over and sat down. It was right beside a window, just a few feet away from another table in the corner of the room. Here, sat a female Earthling with red hair that reached her shoulders and gorgeous green eyes. She held a mug in one hand, the other hand resting on the table, and she was staring right at me. I felt like I'd melt under her gaze if she kept that up.

For a moment I just stared back, but then it occurred to me that she was probably staring for a reason. Did I forget to turn my disguise on? I quickly glanced at my hand to make sure it was still that ugly peach color, and it was, but- oh no.

I was glowing green again. Damn emotions.

I looked around the room and noticed that the red haired woman wasn't the only one staring at me. In fact, half of the people here were. I sunk down in my seat and tried to suppress my emotions, but it backfired. I watched in horror as my aura faded from green to yellow- a color that signified embarrassment.

I was about to get up and leave, but stopped when I heard the chair across from me slide across the floor. I looked up and saw that the red haired woman had sat across from me.

"Ma'am, are you aware that you're glowing?" she asked, seemingly amused.

How was I going to get my way out of this? All I could do was stare at her wide-eyed, nodding awkwardly.

"Does that happen a lot?" she questioned.

I nodded again. The woman continued to stare at me, perplexed.

"It happens when," I began, clearing my throat and trying to find the right English words. "When we feel stuff. Strong stuff."

"Where is that accent from?" she asked. Damn, she asked a lot of questions.

"Umm..." I thought back to the training Otto had given me. She'd taught me the names of a few places, but right when I needed to know them, I couldn't remember.

The woman watched me intently, a smirk forming on her plump lips.

"Texas?" I finally answered.

The woman laughed and shook her head, then stood up. "Want a coffee?"

"No, I don't need to cough," I replied.