Chapter One

You may reach out your hand to ask for something sweet

You may reach out your hand to receive a cold drink during summer heat

You may reach out your hand to offer a shake

You may reach out your hand to receive a piece of cake

You may reach out your hand to show others what you desire

You may reach out your hand to receive a flier

You may reach out your hand for many different things

But you should be aware of what power it brings

For when the devil puts out his hand, he wants to make a deal

And if you reach out your hand, your fate will be sealed

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Mommy! Mommy, where are you?"

A young girl's desperate cry caught Dixon's attention. His nose was overwhelmed with a mouthwatering scent of innocence--the thing he craved for the most. 

Under a large, moss covered angel oak tree sat a small child who tightly held her knees together as tears streamed down her face. There was a toppled over basket of daisies with the fallen flowers straying from her as the wind blew them further and further away. 

"Mommy, I'm lost. Please come find me. I'm scared."

Dixon shape-shifted his body to match that of a little boy's.

The sobbing child became stiff as she heard the sounds of crunching leaves approach her. Dixon was met with forest-green eyes that stared at him warily.

"Who are you?" She asked, wiping her tears away.

"My name is Dixon."

She stood up timidly, embarrassed that a stranger watched her cry.

"My name is Jules. I was picking flowers in the forest and now I don't know where I am. Can you help me find my mommy?" 

"What will you give me in return?" It was in his blood to make deals and trick those who were naive. The little girl was no exception. She was in the most vulnerable position for him to make a deal.

Jules patted her pockets and sighed, "I'm sorry, but I don't have anything to give you."

Dixon couldn't help but smirk. This was way too easy. "I'll help you on one condition."

The child's face lit up. "What? I'll do anything."

"I'll help you find your mom if you become mine."

Jules, as he predicted she would, looked at him confusingly.

"You mean you want me to be your friend?" She asked.

Dixon nodded his head even though he meant something much more than that. The girl was too young to understand even if he did tell her his true intentions.

Jules smiled. "Okay! I'll be your friend if you help me find my mommy."

"Alright, give me your hand," he commanded her.

When Jules' warm, soft hand came in touch with his dry, cold ones, he felt small sparks pulse through his arm. It was as if a dove had trusted putting its wing in a tiger's mouth.

"Do you promise me that you will be mine if I help you get back to your mom?"

Dixon knew this was an unfair question. It was a deadly question. It was trap in disguise.