LETTER ONE

Dear daughter,

The first part of my collection of poems will be about heartbreak, something nearly all young girls experience at least once in their life. My first relationship lasted three years and was extremely toxic. He was both emotionally and physically abusive and, shortly after it ended, I was diagnosed with depression. I know you will have moments in your life when you will feel like giving up. Know that that is part of being human. I dedicate this to you with hope that, when you experience heartbreak, you will know that you are not alone. That you will find love. That there are plenty of people out there capable of loving you. And that a failed relationship does not mean that you are a failure yourself.

I know how difficult it is to walk away from something toxic, especially when you feel like it's your only chance of being happy. But darling, you are worth more and deserve more. Do not settle for anything less than being treated like the queen you are. When they treat you badly, know that it is of no fault of your own. There is nothing that you can do to make them change their ways. If they cheat on you, the person they cheated on you with is not better than you. It is their fault they cannot see your worth, but someone else will.

In your moments of self-hatred, insecurity and doubt, I hope you remember that you are loved, you are worthy and, above all else, that you are enough.

Love,

Your mother