Chapter two

The next day I wake up to the smell of fried eggs and toast lingering around the house. When I get downstairs I find my parents in the kitchen, both singing along to Nirvana. My little sister Poppy is sitting at the kitchen table, staring at them.

'Good morning love', my mum says while she dances around with plates in her hand.

'Morning', I sit down next to Poppy and brush my hand through her brown hair.

She looks up to me with her big, blue eyes. 'Mum and dad are crazy', she whispers and giggles.

'I know', I whisper back.

My mum and dad are indeed crazy. In a good way, though. They're the kind of parents who are everything but basic. My dad, Joseph-but-call-me-Joe, is the drummer in a band. He has shoulder length hair, mostly wears black and has this immense vinyl collection. My mum, Jessica, has her own vintage clothing store in town and her outfits consist of the weirdest mix of different styles, all vintage of course. This morning she is wearing a pink, long hippie dress with an old leather jacket with fringes. For some reason everything looks great on her. Although they're different from most parents, I love them both with all my heart.

'Louisa, could you help me down in the store this morning? Lots of new clothes got delivered yesterday and I haven't had time to sort it out. Only if you don't have anything else to do.'

'Sure, I don't have to get into work today anyway', I say.

Mum serves me my plate with an fried egg on toast and gives me a kiss on my head. 'Thanks, sweetheart'. She sits down opposite me.

My phone buzzes. It's a message from Maddie.

Hey, sorry I was so harsh yesterday night. I know I shouldn't have said anything. I just care about you, you know that. Wanna go out shopping today? Xx

'Who's that? Is it Maddie?', my mum says. 'If she asks you to hang out today, please say yes. I can handle the store on my own'

'Nah, it's someone from work', I lie. I'd rather not have the same talk with my parents again. The talk where they go all like: "You don't see your friends as much anymore, go hang out with them, they care about you, blablabla"

Sorry, have to help my mum in the store today. X

Maddie answers immediately.

Oh okay, good luck then! You're still coming tonight right? Xx

I almost forgot about tonight. We were planning on going out to the lake with the boys. I hesitate for a moment, but I feel like I really can't say no to her twice.

Sure! See you tonight.

-

After breakfast my mum and I go down to the store. It's located in one of the smaller streets in town. But still, we get quite a lot of customers. Older people, teenagers (like Isaac), people who don't have a lot of money and tourists.

I'm busy sorting the delivery out while my mum is helping the couple who just walked in, when the door opens again. A boy, about 4 years older than me, steps into the store and looks around as if he's searching something. He is wearing an denim jacket and has dark red hair. Honestly, he looks kinda handsome. When he lays his eyes on me, he seems to recognise me or something because he walks towards me. 

'Are you Louisa? Louisa Simmons?', he asks. 

Now that he is closer, I can see his face. Pale skin, green eyes, full pink lips. Just like Autumn. It makes me shiver. 

'Y-yeah, that's me', I stutter. 

'I've been looking for you. My name is Ezra Addington, Autumn's brother'

I shiver once again and my hands start shaking. Autumn's brother. What does he want from me?

'Can I talk to you for a bit?', Ezra asks. 

'Yeah?'

'Great, let's go outside then' Ezra turns around and leaves the store. I follow him.