The "Friend"

Mason tried to forget the squeals that rang in his ears. He felt another tap. He wanted to ignore it... maybe it would go away. It didn't. The tapping persisted until Mason flew around, knocking the earbuds from his ears, looking Nick straight in the eyes and spoke through his gritted teeth, "What is it, now?" Mason growled. Nick smiled and stuck out his gross excuse for a hand again and gestured it, "It's nice to meet you, Mason. I'm Nick." Mason reluctantly stuck his hand against Nick's. Nick's hand was soft and squishy. Mason tried not to gag as he slowly pulled his hand back after the handshake, wiping his hand on his jeans. Nick continued to assault Mason's ears with his speech, "My mom told me that it was important in high school to make friends and figure out who I was. She called it self-activation." Mr. Demtro overheard Nick's squeaky voice and proudly injected his correction, "Actually young man, the process of figuring out who you are is called self-actualization, not self-activation. Good attempt though; it shows you are thinking and trying to remember your mother's advice. Good for you!"

Nick, a little embarrassed after being suddenly corrected, turned to face the front and tilted his head down as he slouched in his seat. Mr. Demtro continued on, "Self-actualization is a very important psychological step. Everyone goes through this phase and it's crucial to a young man or woman's future being. 'Who are you?' That's the question." The class full of shy, young faces and bodies looked around at each other and then at themselves. Mr. Demtro chuckled lightly. "Don't worry little ones, we'll dive more into that later this week. For now, I'm going to hand out an activity for you all to complete. It is a very basic, self-addressed psychological exam. In other words, how do you see yourself? There are questions based on creativity, what hobbies interest you, favorite subjects, fun facts, cool things you've done, etcetera. In order for me to be the best teacher and guide for your young minds, I must first get to know you all and be able to relate to you on an individual level; that's the best way for me to teach and for you to learn... the unit on learning is later this month, don't worry" he said with a huge creepy smile. Mr. Demtro once again continued speaking, "Also, I will be filling out an exam myself, and I would like everyone to share, if you're comfortable, who you are." Mr. Demtro handed out the exams and got started on his own at his desk. The exams were ACTUAL exams: about twenty double-sided pages. All the kids groaned as they answered an endless amount of questions and sluggishly turned the pages over. The sounds of paper turning and furious pencil writing filled the sun-lit classroom. Mason never touched his packet. He instead wrote in his basic composition journal he always carried with him. Nick, already done his packet, sat in his seat with his hands folded and a big smile on his face, waiting for Mr. Demtro to notice his excellence.

Mason felt yet another tap on his shoulder, but he was expecting it now. He turned around to face Nick's annoyingly naive and happy face yet again. "Yes, Nick?" Mason muttered, annoyed. "Are you done too? I got mine done pretty fast. I wanted to impress Mr. Demtro, but he hasn't noticed yet. Should I go up to him and say I'm done? Or should I just wait here and be patient until he recognizes I'm done and compliments me on my speedy nature and efficiency? Maybe I'll just wait here and keep talking to you. Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. What's up?", Nick said at the rate of Speedy Gonzalez. Mason just stared at him as his mind tried to comprehend what questions he asked and which questions he answered by himself. Nick, awkward in silence, decided to fill the gap with more words. As soon as he opened his pudgy mouth, Mason stopped his word vomit by answering quickly, "Mr. Demtro doesn't care. No one does. No one cares about the rate of your exam completion. Do you know why? Because it DOESN'T MATTER. It never has and never will. People are vile and evil creatures. That's never going to change." Nick laughed and patted his shoulder as he pretended to wipe a tear from his cheek and shrilled, "That's a good one, buddy! We all know people aren't bad! It's the news and media that shows an evil bias because that's what sells. People are naturally good. It's society and external influences that corrupt and turn people bad and evil." Mason snickered as Nick's word rolled off his tongue. "How do you explain babies, Nick?" Nick tilted his head to the side as a puzzled look formed across his chubby face. Mason continued, "We first have to define evil. Well, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines evil as 'morally reprehensible.' The subject of evil is, for a lack of better words, subjective. A pride of lionesses hunt a wildebeest for their cubs and mates. They brutally kill and rip apart this animal. They bring it back and feed their families. It's nature; nothing wrong with that. BUT, according to vegetarians, vegans, animal rights enthusiasts, etc., killing animals for consumption and by-products is 'immoral, evil, and wrong.' I ask you again, what is the definition of evil? Where is the line drawn? Is there a line at all?" Nick, ironically at a loss for words, opened his mouth to speak, but Mason continued venting. "Now, I digress: babies. Are babies evil?" Nick shook his head. "No, of course they aren't" Mason mocked and smiled devilishly as he stared at Nick. "But if the definition of evil is morally reprehensible, why do we have to teach babies, toddlers, and people in general what is right and what is wrong? If we were all naturally good, no one would have to be taught any lessons as a child. Now, good people do exist, but that's because they are numbing what humans really are by setting up religions, governments, laws, regulations, punishments for crimes and wrongdoing, and more. People are naturally designed to do certain things and have certain qualities and personalities that are shunned by society. We are evil, and the establishment of worshiping mythological gods and following rules to live a "good life" and be happy and in a good place after you die is a complete scheme. It's a brainwashing technique and scapegoat for corruption and the weak. Those unable to think for themselves will become part of the establishment and sheep society we've created. Do you know why this society has been created? To subdue humans evil and primitive nature." Mason's words went in one of Nick's ears and right out the other as Nick stared at him in shock of the anger and ironic passion in his tone. Mason took a deep breathe and popped in his earbuds to calm down, blasting "Killing in The Name Of" by Rage Against the Machine and turned back around, feverishly writing in his journal again.

     After a few seconds, Nick tapped Mason's shoulder. Mason gave himself minor whiplash from the velocity he achieved while spinning around, snarling at Nick, "What could it possibly be this time!?" Nick muttered softly "S-so...why doesn't Mr. Demtro care, again?" Shocked and appalled by the ignorance and naivety displayed before him, Mason busted out laughing uncontrollably. Nick looked at the hysterical Mason with weighted confusion. "W-what's so funny?", Nick squeaked as Mason continued to laugh loudly.  Before Mason could collect his thoughts and form words, he heard a familiar voice boom through the classroom. "Yes, young man, what happens to be so funny?", Mr. Demtro said loud and clearly. Mason instantly stopped his antics and looked at Mr. Demtro calmly, "N-nothing, sir." Mr. Demtro glazed over to Nick, "What about you? Would you please explain to me your friend's hysterical laughter?" Nick's face flushed as he tried to come up with a response, settling on the "truth". "W-well Mr. Demtro, I was talking to Mason and asking about whether I should turn in my exam to you or wait until you noticed me and complemented me on my speedy completion and efficiency. Mason said you didn't care and that all people were evil. He then ranted about establishments and governments and religion and how we are all sheep in a society... or something along those lines. I was shocked at his rant and just wanted to know what that had to do with you caring. I have no idea why he started laughing, but he did." Mr. Demtro glanced between the two boys rapidly, deciphering what Nick just said, "Right. Mason, is it? Can you confirm the information that your friend here said as true?" Mason, at a loss for words, nodded slowly and tried to covertly close and stow his journal into his backpack. Mr. Demtro noticed it and sneered suspiciously, "What's that you got there?" Mr. Demtro walked over to Mason's desk and ripped the journal from his hands, slowly flipping through the pages as his eyes widened and his jaw dropped. He promptly closed Mason's journal and cradled it against his chest. "I will make an appointment for you with Ms. Collins immediately. Sit tight and do not leave my classroom when the bell rings," he murmured. There we're silent reactions form the other students in the classroom. Mason never saw any of them, but he felt their eyes and judgements burning through his soul. Mason sat quietly at his desk, shaking nervously. The bell rang a few moments later. Everyone left the classroom except Mason and Mr. Demtro. Mr. Demtro gave a disgusted haze towards Mason as he advanced to the classroom telephone, quickly dialing a 3 digit extensione number. "Hi Rhonda , this is Isaac. I have a student here who you would be particularly intrigued with. Yes, he's with me. Thank you, Ms. Collins." Mr. Demtro hung up the phone and pompously spoke at Mason. "Head down to room 315 to see Ms. Collins, the school psychologist immediately. Thank you and have a lovely day," he sneered pretentiously as he tossed Mason's journal back on his desk, nearly sliding onto the floor. Mason, holding back his fists, gathered the rest of his things and walked out of the classroom, huffing as he went to find room 315.