Punishment

Sunday 29th September, 4:19am.
This is all my fault. My brain, my actions, my life, therefore my fault. And when you do something wrong, you get punished for it. But as everyone except for me claims it isn't my fault,  I have to punish myself.
Sadie awoke yet again, but found that she couldn't move. She felt as if white noise was blurring everything she thought, and had nothing to do. She hadn't gone to school in a week, as this is how she lived now.
The only contact with another human she had was when April came to say good morning, and gave her chocolates that her mother told her to give to Sadie, and also the sounds of screaming that went on between their parents.
She felt numb, stupid, ugly, pathetic and didn't want to live any more. Nothing could cheer her up.
She sat up for the first time in days.
She vomited.
Finally, she tried one of the chocolates that April had brought her, to see if it would fix her gaunt, sunken-in face and happiness.
It tasted plain, yet delicious.
She had another one.
And another,
And another.
Soon, Sadie had finished the entire box of chocolates, and underneath there was a note.
"Well done! Now, just in case you want to feel even more well, here's a pill. It will make you feel better, I promise.
She stared at the pill. On one hand, she didn't deserve to feel better. However, it could lead to her death if it was secretly a cyanide pill, so...
...
The pill travelled down her neck and into her throat. At first, nothing seemed to happen. But after an hour or two, she noticed her heavy thoughts were getting lighter, and while she didn't feel necessarily happy, she felt...
Okay.
She felt okay.
Finally, she did something she never thought she could have done again.
She got out of bed, brushed her teeth and put her clothes on.
And it was okay.
She went downstairs, and her mother looked like she was about to cry with happiness.
"Sadie! You're up and well!! Did you take that pill I gave you, huh? Well, you'll be glad to know I have a lot more where that came from."
Sadie cracked a smile. If she could keep this up, she might, just might, be continually happy.
Now, there was another thing to deal with.
A meeting in the school head-teacher's office.