Chapter Two

Tonight was the night of the Gathering. It is the time where the Administrators come and collect a member of each family. From there, they are taken away, far away. No one knows where. At the end of the year, only a few come back: injured, scarred and even damaged.

Each year, survivors come back with blank memories. They don't remember anything. Where they came from? What happened? Who they were? The villagers assumed their memories were wiped out; magic was their theory.

The Administrators are known to be of higher command than the human community. Were they considered evil? Some believed yes, some believed no. Not for a second, did Alli believe that they were good. She just had bad instincts of them. What was told every year by the Administrators was that it was for their own good, to keep the human population minimal and have enough food supplies to feed. They never told of what was going to happen to those they collected.

Alli never got to see her parents as a child. However, she was taken in by a lovely family that treated her like their very own. The Administrators did not take those who had suffered a family loss. They had certain beliefs and values.

Alli always wanted to know everything. But every time a question always pondered her head, the saying interrupted her thoughts.

"Don't question the landscape. Don't question anything."

*~*~*~*~*~~*~*

Tonight was the night that Zac was going to volunteer himself for his family, Alli thought to herself.

Zac's father was taken away last year and he never came back, his mother too; Zac had to take care of his brother Peter himself. Who else had been taken before them? Why would the Administrators do this? Alli recounted the memories shared with Zac. The days when they would run out to an empty forest and talk. The secrets they shared, the promises they made.

Zac...

Alli knocked softly on the wooden door. Peter appeared and leaned to the side, gesturing to Alli to come in.

"How's he?" Alli asked.

Peter scratched his head, "Um, he's been quiet lately. He hasn't spoken one thing at all today."

"Where is he?"

"He's in his room."

Zac's room was fairly small, afterall the entire house was fairly small since it was just the two of them. There was no door to his room and so she walked in. Zac was there packing what he had in a small fabric bag; an old black and white photo of his parents, some clothes and a silver necklace which once belonged to his mother.

He noticed Alli standing there.

"Oh, um... hey. I need to talk to you about something," He said in all calmness.

He stopped what he was doing and motioned his hand towards the bed. Alli sat down, silently waiting.

"Alli, I've been thinking lately and hard. I thought it was best that I tell you this," his voiced cracked a little.

Curiosity and fear circled through Alli. "What do you mean? What's wrong?" She was concerned.

"After the Gathering, I'll be leaving... Leaving, as in far from here and not with the Administrators. I'll fake my death, that way they can't take Peter either. And also... Next year, they won't be able to take Peter anyway; he will be the only one left of his blood. He'll live, I will live."

"Are you sure you thought this through? This is a big decision here. And you won't be able to come back, the Administrators will kill you. You'll be leaving your brother behind and even your friends."

He put his arms out on Alli's shoulders as tears ran down to her soft cheeks.

"You don't have to come with me. I can take care of myself. You stay here and take care Peter for me and even your own family. Look at me, it will be okay. I will be fine."

The two sat on the bed silently. Alli thought hard on his words. She knew Zac always tried to stay strong but there was a gut feeling inside that he would not survive on his own. How would he stay alive through the 4 landscapes by himself? Different monsters are spawned out there. The only safe place is the village.

Alli eyed Zac, "Let me come with you."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Amara Dubhach, please make your way towards the stage," the female Administrator gestured with her papers in her hands. The paper, Zac thought. It had the names of everyone who would be taken away. "Zachariah Xavier," the Administrator said. Zac saw her melancholic eyes as they looked at everyone walking to the stage. She felt sorry for them, for everybody separating from their families.

Among the countless rows of villages, Zac caught a glance at Alli in the section of the Watchers; they were the people who would not be elected. How much Zac longed for a position there. Her long brunette hair cascaded her perfectly shaped face as she looked down at the gravel beneath her feet. He walked forwards and felt all eyes on him.

The female Administrator greeted Zac as he stood on the stage, looking down at the people. A small, but distinguishable smile played on her lips. It was genuine. Appreciative. The Administrator read out the long list of names. "These will be our electives," and she gestured towards the stage. The crowd was mute. Suddenly, a loud screech sounded in the air.

"No, don't take him please!" a woman cried as she eyed her child standing on the stage. "No... don't take him. Don't!" The lady made her way onto the stage and faced all of us. "None of you truly know where they are being taken! Let me warn you all, they are coming," she said grimly. "Once you know what is happening to your friends, your lovers, your family, you will want the Administrators dead. You will want them dead!"

The female Administrator cleared her throat, "Kill her," she said in a small voice. The other Administrators walked towards the lady, one holding a gun. He pointed it towards her head.

There was silence.. All you could hear was small sobs of what was known to be the woman's child as the Administrators dragged the body away.

A/N: Hello,

Second chapter done, 'horray'. More chapters will be coming, perhaps once, every week. So how do you feel about the story so far? Leave in your comments, much appreciated (: Trust me, it's just the beginning and we have ideas and events coming up. Got any questions? Feel free to ask away or inbox x