△Chapter Two: First Blood△

"My name is Connor, I'm an android sent by Cyberlife and your new partner. I'm pleased to meet you too," he takes my hand and firmly shakes it. I know he's not sincere, he has a goal that needs to be achieved, does things only because it benefits his cause, but it makes me feel less lonely. He's a machine after all, and as much as I keep lying to myself, machines are not sincere.

◯◯◯

"Breaking news! More deviant androids take to the streets to protest their rights and equality to humans! The Detroit police are overwhelmed by their numbers, especially since they've lost almost a half of their working personnel to the deviants. Cyberlife has not yet made any official statements about the protests but has assured the public that protection measures will be taken as soon as possible. Until then, civilians are advised to report to the authorities any sings of deviancy their androids might show and have them removed immediately from their respective household or establishment. Deviants are very dangerous and unpredictable... " The high pitched voice coming from the radio fades out as I stop paying attention to it.

'Deviants are dangerous!', 'They'll be the death of humanity! How much until they'll overthrow their creators?', 'Androids should have never been invented! We need to abolish them!' are the only things we hear from the news nowadays. The media didn't use to be so negative about androids. Back in the day, they were describing them as 'better humans' and 'The Dawn Of Artificial Life', but to be honest, deviancy also wasn't such a known thing back when androids first came out. And we also didn't think that we'll end up having to go at war with them.

It's been almost a week since I first stepped into the Police Department and met my partners, Connor and Lieutenant Hank Anderson. I haven't got to know them since they, well mostly Connor, were busy walking me through their cases and evidence they acquired before I joined the police force. 'Connie' seems nice for most of the time but he's a bit clueless about some forms of human interaction and language, which I find strange for an android detective. As for Hank, all I have to say is that he's an old, drunk grump but I'm sure he has a softer side somewhere.

Speaking of them, we're currently on our way to the address where a supposed murder happened, riding through traffic in Hank's old-fashioned car. It's my first proper case and I'm a bit afraid that I'll do something wrong or screw something up. I have assisted in solving a case before but as a trainee. The old prick that I was 'helping' didn't even let me look around the crime scene, saying that I'll 'contaminate the evidence with my disrespectful attitude', even though the only 'disrespectful' thing I've done to him was probably correcting him on how to spell the victim's name on the case report.

Pushing my anxieties to the back of my mind, I decide to ask for information on the murder.

"Connor, what informations do we have about what happened at the crime scene?"

The android turns to me and for a second his LED shines yellow.

"All the information in the report I received was that a man was found deceased in his home about an hour ago. The victim's name was Garry Mcmillan. He owned an android, who is currently nowhere to be found at the residence," the android responds.

"So the android is suspected to have killed his owner? Christ, these plastic asses really like the taste of human blood, don't they?" Hank comments whilst keeping his attention at the road ahead.

"Isn't Mcmillan the man whose wife mysteriously disappeared about a week ago? I swear I heard his name on the news..." I mutter to myself, then turn back to Connor, "Do you have any valuable information on him, maybe a criminal record?"

"According to the DPD database, the only misdemeanor he committed was back in 2024, when he was charged with drug possession. He's relatively clean when it comes to trouble with the law. I've done a background check on him, but I didn't seem to find anything useful, other than his criminal record and the disappearance of his wife."