Twelve

YiSeul

The discipline master held out his weapon, a cane made out of rottan, his weapon when he brings out for students that irritate him and I'm one of them, for sure.

"So, Mdm Yoo, your Niece here has been beating students up and especially the ones that she doesn't like. Take this student for example." He pointed his cane to that bitch who is pretending to look demure and naive. Like hell, she is... "Seo JiSoo HakSaeng here is always clean of her record, never hitting anyone else in her class and she has perfect grades." But that doesn't make her a better person either...

"While your niece is the complete opposite of her, she is always missing classes and when she does appear for school, she makes trouble for all of us. This is not the first time that she has been here for this offense and we are planning to punish her."

By what? Don't tell me that he is going to suspend me again like he has always done? Well, I can rest for the next 2 weeks if he does suspend me...

"We are going to expel her from school which makes her a high school dropout." He concluded and smirked. "If we were to be serious with her punishment, if not it would just be a suspension of 2 weeks."

"Give me the reason why my niece has to be expelled from school." My aunt asked the discipline master.

"That's the very reason why she is here in this very room, she created trouble. She clearly did and that is the evidence." He smirked. "So how do you feel about this punishment, Mrs. Seo?" He asked the bitch's mother who looks the same as her, annoying and bitchy. 

"We must expel her, look at what she has done to my poor daughter's face? I have never hit her not even once as I love her a lot. This student has to be banned from schooling so that she would learn from her mistakes, I don't want her to stay in the same school as my lovely daughter." She hugged her daughter and gave me the look, she hates me to the core. I don't blame her, everyone hates me anyway. Nobody would like a troublemaker that only causes trouble and pain to other people. 

"Still, she is a good girl. She must have a reason for doing that, maybe your daughter is the one at fault for making her mad that she had no choice but to use her strength." Why is she still believing that I'm a good girl? Can't she see how heartless and ruthless I am?

Mrs. Seo raised her voice in return. What? You are saying that your niece has done nothing wrong and my daughter is the one in the wrong? Are you blind or what?"

"I am not blind, I am just--"

I stood up out of frustration, the others looked at me, their full attention only on me. "YeongAe ahjumma, I will just get expelled, it is no big deal. I can get a full-time job, you have no idea how long have I been waiting to drop out of high school for the longest time." I said with tears filling up in my eyes. "And now I have been given the chance to either to get suspended or to get expel, I would rather drop out of high school." I don't want to get expelled, I have been waiting for so long to go back to school and it is ruined on the first day of coming back. 

"Yoo Yiseul haksaeng, are you saying that you want to get expelled?" The discipline master looked a little happy to see me gone, of course, no one wants me around. They hated me to the core and they can't wait to get rid of me.

"She can't get expelled, my niece can't ever get expelled. She must continue to study, you have no idea how much she likes studying." YeongAe ahjumma pleaded. "Please, you must not expel, she has a future."

"A future?" Mrs. Seo scoffed. "That child has a future? Does she even want to study? Beating people up is her specialty and she should be a dropout, stop wasting the government's money on such a useless good-for-nothing girl."

"Don't say that about her if you don't know her that well, you don't even know her and you are insulting her based on what happened. Is your daughter that well? It takes two hands to clap, if she hadn't done anything to provoke her, nothing would've happened." YeongAe ahjumma continued.

"If you prove me wrong that I have made the wrong decision to be her caretaker, take it on me. Don't blame her, I am the one to blame. I have come over too late to teach her good manners. I should've taken up the responsibility to take care of her and her brother when both her parents passed away from a car accident but I had my family to take care of at that point of time. And now that I have the time, it is already too late, she has gone astray but it won't be too hard to change her ways if you could allow her to continue schooling, allow her to complete her education. She needs an education no matter what, she has to."

"You are saying that we should ignore what Yoo YiSeul has done today??" The discipline master asked holding up the cane looking extremely bored. "I know that you care a lot about your Niece but we still have to go by the rule."

"Sir, a suspension is no use if the student would continue to commit crimes in school. I would suggest that students that have committed such offenses would do volunteer work instead if they have done wrong, they should do something good to reflect from their wrongdoings."

Mrs. Seo laughed. "Volunteer work? Isn't that what people do if they are nothing to do on a daily basis?"  

"I guess that you have never done any volunteer work in your whole life right, Mrs. Seo? You should really try volunteer work someday, it helps bring out the kindness in you." YeongAe ahjumma told her.

"Volunteering might help in teaching the students to do more good stuff." The discipline master seems like he is considering it very heavily. "That might help... Ok, for now, both students are suspended for a day to reflect on their actions and we will hold a meeting, I will suggest this to the principal and I will contact both of you if it gets approved. You may leave now." YeongAe ahjumma and I followed after her. "Yah, why does my daughter have to get suspended? We are supposed to make that Yoo Yiseul get expelled--" 

YeongAe ahjumma closed the door and let out a long sigh. "That was a long talk, why does that lady talk so much? I'm glad that I managed to recite the lines and shamed her in front of all of us." She smiled and she looked at me. "Why are you crying?"

There was no reason why I cried, I was obviously touched by my words. I thought that I saw my dead father for a moment. She hugged me tightly. "I told you that I can take care of you, you just didn't believe me."