Thirty-four

Wonho

I stood a few buildings from the restaurant that I will be dining at, looking all nervous as I stared at the restaurant, I haven't been to this restaurant before but it doesn't make me nervous thinking about it. What makes me nervous is that I will be meeting that guy and his son for the first time ever and I don't know what to expect from them, even though I have met the guy twice before but it doesn't mean that I am close to them.

I have no intention of getting closer to them for my own purpose but it is a promise that I have made to Yoo Yiseul before I agreed to meet my mother's new lover and his family, it was time that I meet them officially and get to know them before the wedding, it would be extremely awkward if we would meet for the first time at the wedding but it wouldn't matter to me anyway. Because I have no intention of being so chummy with them, it is not like they are my real family.

I have already lost my father a few years ago and it is the last time that I can tolerate anyone leaving my side forever and not coming back again, and I am not comfortable with change at all, instead, I am very fearful of things happening in my life. It took me such a long time to accept that my father is not going to be there for me anymore and I will not have anyone to talk to anymore, he was the only one that I can have deep conversations with and he would advise me on things that I will do better to change myself. My mother can't ever do that, she isn't the type to have deep conversations with and she would disappear if there's work for her to do, she is a very cold woman and she will be this cold for the rest of her life.

I really long to have a family member who will have these deep conversations like how I had with my father, Yoo Yiseul is one person that is capable of doing that even though she  is mean to me most of the time due to her headstrong personality but she isn't part of my family, I consider her to be one but she is just a very close friend of mine whom I harbour feelings for. So, I would like to have someone like my father in my life someday.

But the thought of meeting them is so nerve-wracking and I don't think that I will be able to impress them with the qualifications that I possess, I am not the best student in school and I am not popular at all, I have little to zero presence in school and people in school only know me as the one who transferred midway and that is also the same nicknames that I carried myself with every time I transfer schools.

I think that I will just stay at home and tell my mother that I am having a stomachache... I turned away and walked in the opposite direction when Yoo Yiseul turns me back, I let out a sigh. "Can't you not? I don't want to go, this is not the right time for me to meet them."

She rolled her eyes at me. "You came all the way here just to meet them for dinner and you want to return home right now, are you nuts? I came all the way here to accompany you and it is going to be a waste of time for me?" She grabbed me by the collar. "I could've spent the rest of the night alone at your apartment and you are ruining my plan, are you freaking serious?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "But what can I do? They might not even like me, I am not smart enough nor charming enough and his son is the class president in his school, he gets such high grades and he is well-liked by all of his classmates. I am nothing of that and I simply can't compare myself to him."

"So what? You are still your mother's son and she is marrying that guy, not you. Who cares if you are not up to his standard? You make up your own standard and be proud of it." She grabbed my arm tightly. "I will drag you there myself if you are still unwilling to go, I will really do that."

Yes, she will do that for real. That woman have a mentality of a cockroach and she will never give up unless she allows herself to, I would rather go for the dinner rather than to allow her to drag me all the way there.

I let out a deep sigh. "Fine, I'll go." She smiled brightly as she finally got her to wish to be alone on a Saturday night. "But you can't eat all of the potato chips and ice cream all by yourself, I bought it for both of us and it is supposed to last us for the entire week."

She rolled her eyes at me. "Fine, I will pace my eating and make your stock last for an entire week." She gave me a push. "Now, go. You wouldn't want you to be late for dinner with your new family."

I nodded. "Don't you think that you can sleep in my bed like nobody's business!" I yelled that at her before making my way towards the restaurant is already there waiting for me, she gave me a smile and we made our way into the restaurant.

She told me that he will be slightly late because he had to pick up his son from the after-school academy, that just further proves that he has a model student for a son and I am nothing like that. What if he is way too smart for me to handle? I definitely don't want to look like an idiot in front of them but I am an idiot.

The door opens and the man appears behind it, noticing the two of us in the room and he goes to my mother. A tall guy follows behind him and my heart starts beating faster, in fear that he might be someone better than me. And I was right about him in a bad way, I have never expected someone like him to be his son. Son Hyunwoo...