Chapter 2

Here's another chapter!

After that little scare, Lucas suggested we rest for a bit. He found an abandoned alley where we sat down and snacked on pieces of jerky. He kept glancing at me, but I didn't care. I was still in shock from what I did earlier, and also quite proud from his comment. 

"Listen Adara," Lucas started. Even though I knew it wasn't the first time he said my name, it kind of made my heart flutter. 

The way he said it made my name have so much meaning. 

"I know you're in shock, but you gotta get used to it. We're gonna be going through this everyday. You have to throw away all of our civilized manors and live in this world." 

Needless to say, Lucas confused me. One minute he's being harsh, the next he's somewhat comforting me and being my guide. A sigh escaped my lips and I rubbed my forehead. "I know, I know, it's kinda hard." 

He gave me a somewhat sympathetic look. "Yeah...it's not so easy."

I finished chewing my last piece of jerky, before leaning against the cool, stone wall. "So, are we trying to find another safe place or do we actually have a destination?" I asked.

He bit his lip and stood up. "Nowhere, for now at least..." I glanced at him and for some reason I didn't trust his words. I had a feeling that there was more to his story, and I was determined to find out. "Didn't you want to find your family?" He asked. 

I widened my eyes, slightly taken aback. "Well, yeah, but you said it yourself-,"

"It doesn't mean that they're dead." 

I sucked in a breath and clasped my hands. "Okay, so if there is some hope that they're still alive...you'd actually be willing to help me?" He rolled his eyes. "Well, if I wasn't, I wouldn't have suggested it now would I?" I huffed. "Smart aleck."

He chuckled and his laughter brought a slight smile to my face. 

"Ok, then that's what we'll do. We'll find my family and try to find yours while we're at it." I stated, standing beside him. He seemed a bit taken aback and shook his head. "Oh, that's really not necessary." I raised an eyebrow. "Why wouldn't you wanna-,"

"Forget it. Come on, let's start moving." He snapped. 

Bi-polar much?

XXX

So, our first step towards finding my family was heading to my apartment building. It seemed pretty smart to me, and it wasn't too far from our present location. The walk was  silent, but it wasn't awkward or anything. It was actually pretty comforting. In a way, this was like a strange, horrifying date. 

Wait, what?

Did I just say...date?

"So, what was your life like before the outbreak?" Lucas asked, staring ahead into the distance. I almost jumped, so absorbed by my...thoughts, that I completely forgot about his question. "Huh?"

"Your life...what was it like before all of this happened?"

I crossed my arms, listening to the gravel crunching beneath our feet, and into the concrete. "Oh, nothing, much. I went to school, got good grades, stayed on the internet almost everyday," That part got a laugh out of the both of us. "And...just enjoyed my family, I guess. I wish I spent more time with them...I mean I was in a hospital for four months. Isn't that enough separation?"

Lucas turned his gaze to mine. "Are you sure you don't remember what happened?"

I shook my head. "Nope...or at least it's hazy and my mind is refusing to let me remember." He seemed to accept that answer and adjusted his backpack. "So, what about your life?" I asked, trying to keep the conversation going.