Chapter 26 Holy Ground

Renesmee’s POV

          I watch the bird fly through the back yard, and it’s feathers are so interesting. I like to sit here and just watch how pretty they are. Their songs are so beautiful, and they remind me of when mommy used to sing to me, when I was a little girl. What people seem to not understand is that I may look like a teenager, but I’m only about six years old. My maturity is definitely higher than other six years old, but it’s not as high as the age I look. I continue to watch the red bird fly from tree to tree, until daddy walks in the door. I can tell he’s not happy by the way he frowns.

          I run up to him, and throw my arms around him, so he’ll smile again because I love my daddy’s smile. When I touch him, I show him the image of the red bird, and he squeezes me tightly. I pull away from him, and see that he still isn’t happy, so I let my smile falter. I reach up, and touch his arm, and show him that I want him to be happy. I have the gift of transferring my thoughts to other people by touching them. I know I mustn’t show this to any of my human friends because they wouldn’t understand. I pull my hand away, and look up to see that he looks the same as before.

          “Renesmee, use your words” he says in that strict daddy voice. “Your mother and I need to talk to you” he continues, and I get scared for the first time. It sounds like they have some bad news to tell me, and ever since aunt Alice came back I was hoping that the bad news wouldn’t happen again so soon. We all thought she had died, and it was a very hard time for my family. Then she came back to us, but now there’s more bad news.

          “”We’re moving to New York, so our family can have a fresh start” he explains, as my mother joins us. I feel the tears start because I’m old enough to hear the actual meaning behind the statement. We’re leaving the rest of our family behind, and moving across the country. What am I going to do?

Chloe’s POV

          The taste of salt is strong in my throat. Have they fed us, or something? I open my eyes, and almost have a heart attack. There right in front of me is a huge whale. I look around frantically, and see that I’m in the ocean. How am I even alive? What the hell is going on? The frantic questions light a fire in my consciousness, and soon I’m overwhelmed with my own questions. Then I remember Jasper, and my plan. There’s two blood bags, with our human blood in it, sewed to the inside of my jeans, and I’m now in transition. That’s when I realize that Jackson is here too.

          I whip around, and look for him, but it’s hopeless. There’s no way that we didn’t get separated, and now he won’t have any blood on him. He’ll die before he gets to shore to feed. My plan backfired so badly. That’s when I feel the rope around my ankle. I reach down, and tug on it gently. A corpse comes floating eerily by me, and I recognize it instantly as Jackson. All we have to do is make it to the surface, and drink the blood. At that moment, I notice that I need oxygen. I thought for sure that vampires didn’t have to bleed. I fight with all my might, and kick my feet as hard as I can, and soon we’re slowly propelling ourselves upwards.

          Luckily we haven’t sank that low, so I break the surface, just as I feel myself about to pass out. I immediately reach inside my jeans, and break off one of the blood bags. As soon as I drink this, I’ll be a full-fledged newborn vampire. Is this what I really want? Just before I take the blood, I hear Jackson take his first breath, and I make my decision on the spot. I open the bag, and hurriedly down the contents, before a wave can knock it from my hands. I remove the other bag, and turn to him. He takes it from me, and gives me a significant look, before drinking his as well. We’re now vampires, and we have to make it to safety, before the sun comes up. At least we’re together.