12.2

She hurried to check all the rooms for anyone, especially her brother, because, after all, his car was the only one left. I lost her and ended up walking through a piano room, then a ball room, then a room that opened up to the balcony overlooking their grand backyard where a giant blue tarp covered her family's pool. That was when I noticed something: the blue tarp floated over the pool as though it was molded on top of tiny rolling hills.

I decided to go downstairs and investigate the backyard while Brooke searched whereever. I made it to the empty kitchen, and noticed at the foot of the door mat, a slab of dirt and a crinkle, that suggested that the mat had gotten snagged inside the sliding door way, with a tear.

Outside, I then noticed a mop bucket and a pile of cleaning supplies tossed behind the patio barbecue. That was no place for indoor cleaning supplies. Brooke's families' cleaning crew must have left in a hurry.

I approached the pool side where the blue tarp covered it in irregular bulges, as though the pool underneath the tarp were filled with jagged rocks and sticks. I could smell a weird smell coming from the tarp, and when I bent to my knees to lift the tarp and find what was underneath, a sudden scream stopped me before I turned around and raced for the house!