Holes in the Darkness- a Judas Syndrome Anthology

FOREWORD

2012’s Revelation may have signaled an end to Michael Poeltl’s Judas Syndrome Trilogy, but Joel, Sara, Earl, Sonny, and the other characters continue to live on in the hearts of fans worldwide. When a section for the Judas Syndrome was opened up on the popular fan fiction site Archive of Our Own, a small group of fans decided that a mini anthology was in order. Its purpose is twofold: to thank Mike for his remarkable series and let their imaginations fill in areas that the books left untouched.

Holes in the Darkness is a collection of five short stories submitted by fans of the series, among whom I include myself.  These pieces are dark, humourous, touching, and occasionally a hybrid of all three. The shadow sides of some characters are potentially explained, while one (Homecoming) imagines what Sara’s reunion with Joel will be like when her work on this mortal plane is done.

(If you haven’t read the books yet, please be aware that some of the submissions contain spoilers. Such instances are labeled accordingly.)

In order of appearance, the stories are:

Illogical Progression by Veronica Marsh. Earl blames himself for his girlfriend's death. Then he learns the truth. And acts. Set before the apocalypse, this poignant ficlet hints at why Earl became so homophobic that not even friendship could prevent his rampage in Rebirth.

Under the Covers, My Heart Bleeds by Angel Ashes. A conversation between Connor and Julia after the latter couldn’t take living in a dying world any longer. Contains spoilers for The Judas Syndrome.

Homecoming by Adrian A. A lifetime after their forced separation, Sara and Joel reunite. Contains spoilers for Rebirth.

His Name is Earl by Mike Rosen. Earl and Joel are snowed in at the latter's chalet. When they're asked to participate in a relief effort, Earl is his charming self. A hilarious AU piece intended to precede The Judas Syndrome.

Cage Without a Key by Rose Keefe. This is actually a sample chapter from my forthcoming spinoff novel about Gil and Seth, who learn the hard way that those claiming to have their best interests at heart often don’t. Set before The Judas Syndrome, and fully authorized by Michael Poeltl.

.Courage. Violence. Hope. Despair. Humour. Rage. These are recurring themes in the Judas Syndrome trilogy, and they all make an appearance here.  It has been a privilege to edit this short anthology, and I hope that we’ve done Mike’s characters- and Mike himself- justice.