Chapter 7

Ch 7

Marinette could hear the sounds of machines buzzing and beeping before she even opened her eyes. She was freezing, and her whole body felt stiff and achy. She moved her foot and found that there was a blanket overtop of it. After a few seconds of fishing for the top of the blanket with the arm that didn't have an IV hooked into it, she gave up and opened her eyes. The brightness of the light above her was blinding, and it took a few seconds to be able to actually see anything.

She found the top of the blanket and pulled it up to her chin, but then she noticed that someone else was in the room with her.

"Marinette, are you awake?" She recognised the sound of her mother's voice, and she instantly yearned to be a kid again, curled up safely in the solice of her arms.

"Mom," she croaked hoarsely. Her neck popped as she turned her head to look at her mother. Her father was there too, smiling meekly.

"Hi, honey," he said. Their hands were clasped together tightly, eyes red and puffy. They both came over and hugged her gently. Marinette found the effort of raising her arms to be exhausting. She was out of breath by the time they let go.

"You're the bravest daughter we could ever have hoped for. Paris considers you a hero, you know." Sabine was gently stroking her daughter's hair.

"Can I have some water?" Marinette asked. Her mouth felt like it was cracked and blistering.

"As long as you don't swallow it. Your stomach got clipped by that blade. Modern medicine is amazing, isn't it?" Tom handed Marinette a bottle of water, which she swished around in her mouth until she felt a little better, then spit it out into a paper cup. "A hundred years ago a wound like that would be fatal. Even by today's standards you're lucky," he said cheerfully, although his eyes hid the kind of grief unknown to those who've never thought they lost a child.

"Am I going to be okay?" Marinette asked.

"The doctor said in a few weeks you'll be up and moving again like normal. It might take a few months for the muscles to fully heal, but you're expected to make a full recovery," Tom said. "But Marinette, sweetie, please, don't ever do anything like that again." Marinette tried to laugh but the pain was too harsh.

A soft knock came on the door. It creaked open to reveal a familiar green eyed boy.

"Adrien," Marinette squeaked. He waved awkwardly before pushing the door the rest of the way open.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything," he said. The heavy door slid shut behind him.

"Dad and I are gunna go talk to your doctor about your physical therapy. He says if we make enough progress, you'll be able to walk at graduation next week. With some help, of course." She put her hand on the door knob and turned it. "We love you very much. See you in a few minutes. And hello, Adrien." She opened the door the rest of the way and the two of them left, waving goodbye until the door was shut. Adrien came and sat at the foot of the bed. The movement made Marinette's abdomen burn, but she didn't say anything.

"You have got to be the craziest, dumbest, most self destructive woman alive." Adrien scowled angrily and folded his arms across his chest. "But," he continued, "I wouldn't be here to tell you that if you weren't. I owe you my life, Marinette."

"Huh?" Marinette still didn't remember everything that happened. She didn't even know what day it was.

"I just want to know why. Why did you leave? And why didn't you tell me you were LadyBug before?" He said in a hushed voice. Marinette remembered telling Chat Noir her identity, not Adrien. She was profoundly confused. Unless...