Chapter Two

I was surprised by how large the room was, but I was even more surprised by the girl already in the room. She was tiny, barely taller than 4'8. Her skin was olive colored, her hair dark, and her eyes like chocolate, her red skinnies and white v-neck tee made her look even tanner, and shapely, and we both observed each other in silence. She finally gave me a smile, showing off perfectly straight teeth, whitened to perfection. 

"You must be Mavery. I'm your roomie, Kaila Telles."

"You don't have an accent," I said, surprised.

She laughed and shook her head.

"No, I'm American like you. I'm originally from New Mexico, how about you?"

"Georgia," I answered, "I don't want to be rude but your last name sounds incredibly famliar."

She moved over to her bed and sat down. Something on her face had changed, it was a very dark look. 

"My mother, Alexandria, is a concert pianist and my father is a congressman."

I suddenly realized. I'd watched her mother play on tv before. She was tall, and blonde haired, no wonder I hadn't put them together as mother and daughter. The silence in the room was broken by the ringing of a phone. She fished her an white iPhone out of her pocket and answered. It took me a moment to register the fact that she wasn't speaking english. 

"Hola Harris...Si, todavia estamos en el almuerzo, pero mi nuevo companero de cuarto de llegar...si...esta bien si ella viene con nosotros...ella es americana tambien."

I must've have looked confused because when she hung up she looked at me and started laughing. 

"That was my brother Harris. We made plans to go out for lunch today with some of his friends."

"Oh, I don't want you to miss your lunch with him for me, go ahead."

"No, I asked him if you could come along. I mean, if that makes you uncomfortable you don't have too."

I smiled. I mean, maybe my time at Watson wouldn't be as bad as I anticipated.

"Thanks Kaila, I'd love to go."