25. Ben

His mom's eyes studied him. "Your father chose this."

Ben wailed. "But he's not dead mom! People try to kill him every night! They blame him!" He looked down. "People don't know who he really is. They hate him. I have to prove them wrong, Mom. I have to. If you won't tell me the truth, and he wouldn't say the truth... I'll find it for myself. I want to know. I have to prove them wrong."

His mother shook her head. "Don't worry about all that, just worry about protecting what you can here at home. Help Madison clean up the attacks from yesterday. Don't worry about your father. You start to sound like him, sooner or later you'll be leaving like him too. Just don't ask questions and everything will be fine. Please Ben, just leave it alone."

Ben's eyes bulged. "How can you say that?"

His mother's eyes lowered.

An image came to mind. "Are the bear attacks really bear attacks?"

Her irises cringed. "What are you talking about?"

"You know things aren't as they seem, don't you?"

She closed her eyes to him. "You're father knew. Look what happened to him. Leave it alone Ben."

Ben turned away.

As he did, Colton came in the doorway. "Are you going to wake daddy up, Benny?" he asked.

Ben shook his head. He ducked his shoulders down and sniffled, walking swiftly from the room.