Chapter 1

[October 8th, 2011] I'm sorry if this book is terrible.

"Hey Mom" I mumbled into the phone. I was sitting at the bus stop on my way to work. The bus is 15 minutes late so I'm sitting and shivering in the rain. Every time a car would roll by, I got soaked with water. It ruined my work uniform in the process, so today was not good so far. The moment I woke up, I rushed to get myself ready and I ran out the door. It was my first day at work and my alarm didn't go off.

"Y-yes Imani?" She was breathing heavily and sounded like there was someone with her. I sighed I couldn't believe she's already doing this so early in the morning. "Did you make it to work yet?" I heard kissing noises on the other end of the phone. I leaned forward resting my head on my hand frowning.

"Noo...I didn't" I said staring at the cars speeding past going to where they need to be.

"Why not-Aaah" she moaned and I was so disgusted.

"It's been 20 minutes now and there's no sign of the bus," I told her looking down at the ground.

My family is poor, so almost everyone has jobs to make money. There's a lot of people in our family that we have to feed. So if one of us loses our job, there will be less food in the fridge. All of us are lucky to even have jobs because some people don't give jobs to poor people.

"you might as well just come back home." On the other side of the phone, I heard the sound of crying in the background. A small knocking on the door.

"Mommy I'm hungry" I hear my four-year-old sister, whine faintly in the background. It broke my heart. Knowing that the kids didn't have anything to eat made me so upset and angry, especially when they just woke up.

We pray to god every single night hoping for food, clothes, soap, and a better future for our family. My mom works as a stripper and receives more money by sleeping with people. I know she makes plenty of money, but she doesn't spend on us. Just drugs and alcohol. She isn't abusive if that's what you're thinking. All of us were born by accident so neither of us has a dad right now.

"I TOLD you not to bother me when I'm busy!" she yelled.

"But I'm Hungry!" She cried

"You know we don't have food right now!" Mom angrily shouts, making my sister run off crying.

"Is everything fine? " someone asked I'm guessing was the guy she was with.

"Yes this happens all the time so don't worry about it." She quickly responded brushing it off, not caring.

I glare a hole in the ground. Filling my heart with hate over our mother's lack of care for us. It's been like this since the beginning. Even when I was born, my mother didn't bother to take care of me or my other siblings. My Grandmother did, she took care of all of us. I love her with all my heart. She comes over twice a week to give us food, and money (which mom takes for herself.) She's also the one who got me into singing and dancing. She cleans our house too, even though she doesn't have to.

I balled my fist up and counting to ten. I took a deep breath to release my anger. I leaned my back into the wooden bench. A screeching noise, came when the bus finally pulled up and launched the biggest splash of water on me. The driver gave me an apologetic look as he watched me get on the bus visibly wet and shaking. I sat down at the back wanting nothing to do with anybody. I watched the scenery blur by very uncomfortable in my wet clothes, that made a weird sound as I moved. I finally arrived at my workplace.

I'm a janitor at a cafe. I was told to go to work in the back where the bathroom is.

"Your job for today won't be too difficult, and maybe tomorrow you can come back smelling decent" She slammed the door of the bathroom. I rolled my eyes

"Come back smelling decent, these stupid privileged people with cars" I grumbled picking up a sponge and bucket.

I went inside the first stall and got busy doing the worse job ever. Some people are like monkeys I tell you. How do people not know, when to make sure their poop gets inside the toilet bowl, ..AND NOT ON THE WALLS! DO PEOPLE PICK THEIR POOP UP AND THROW IT ON THE WALLS AND SOMEHOW ON THE CEILING TOO!!!

I was visibly shaking in anger

At the end of my work schedule. They were eager to let me go home, whispering comments about the way I smelt.

I wished I never gotten that job.