May I Have This Dance?

Sophie's POV

i looked up to see Fitz standing above me his smile faint but still visible, his hand held out to me. 

"I was wondering if I may have this dance?" He asked. I smiled to him. "You know. I bet tam is like freaking out right now!" He laughed as the song shadows by Sabrina carpenter came on. I couldn't help but laugh. "There we go! A real Sophie foster laugh! So, yes or no?" His hand still held out to me. I took it and he pulled me to my feet, wiping the tears from my cheeks. Who knew fitz vacker was such a good dancer! The song ended way to soon, but at the very end, our faces were so close, my mind dashed to the moment when it was fitz and I at calla's tree. We had almost kissed! Was fitz going to kiss me!? Would I kiss him? His breath warmed my cheeks, our noses almost touching.

"Yo! I think I'm interrupting something but they are announcing the winners for best hat!" Keefe butted in. The second time he interrupted us! Fitz let go of me, giving the end of a fly away hair a playful tug. Then turned to keefe and gave probably the most epic eye roll I had ever seen. We walked briskly back to our friends and when we arrived, Biana gave me a joking wink and I gave her a looked that said really? What? Nothing happened! All she did was smile and turned her head to the stage. 

"And the winner for best hat goes not only to the best hat, but to the cutest!" Sting announced, winking in our direction. All I could do now was place bets on who it would be. "Fitz vacker!" She shouted. Fitz went on stage and got some boring prize that keefe begged for so I was betting it was something to do with a get-out-of-detention-for-free type of deal. Stina and marella dismissed us and I leaped home. Grady sat on the couch reading scrolls and edaline wandered around the kitchen with some gnomes. Grady looked up from his scrolls and smiled. 

"How was the dance kiddo?" 

"Good," I mumbled giving him a kiss. 

"Made your favorite!" Edaline told me as I tried running upstairs. But after I smelled what she made, I couldn't continue my run to freedom. I quickly ate 7 mallowmelt pieces and dashed upstairs before they could press for details.  I took a shower, dried my hair, and changed into black pajama shorts, and a red pajama tank top. I heard a knock on the door. 

"Oh no!" I mumbled, tying  my still damp hair in a sloppy, loose, bun.

"Hey kiddo! It's for you!" Grady shouted. 

"She'll come down when she is ready!" Edaline yelled at Grady. As I ran down the stairs, all I could do was chant to myself please don't be him! Please don't be him! Please don't be,

"Oh! hey fitz," I mumbled.