Chapter 1

City of the Dragons

* Before you read this story I must say that the dragons speak mind to mind or in a persons head. Also this is my first story! Hope you like it!

Cassandra woke with a start. Something was banging at the door like there was no tomorrow. She got up and threw her cloak over her shoulders. When she opened the door three of the Royal guards stood there.

"Hello young lady, do you own this thing," one of the guards asked. He held up a scraggly black cat with white socks.

"Yes," Cassandra replied.

"What is your name? 'Cause you will pay the compensation," questioned the guard next to him.

"My name is Cassandra."

"Very well, 100 crowns then," smirked the first guard.

"Now Titus," cut in the third guard. He looked more formal, higher up in rank maybe?

"20 crowns, please," he asked.

She looked at his badge and saw that it read Captain Rhys. Cassandra went back inside and went to her treasure box. She took out 20 crowns and closed the lid. went back to the door. She handed Rhys the crowns. The first guard then chucked the cat towards her. Because of her quick reflexes Cassandra caught the cat before she hit the ground. Rhys nodded and he and his men left.

"Well that was an interesting morning," she said looking at Melody.

Melody meowed in response. Cassandra chuckled and filled up the cats saucer of milk. Melody sipped a few mouthfuls and then found a sunny spot to lie down in. Cassandra got dressed and then went out to the forest to find firewood. She had lived in the forest her whole life with her mother. Her mother had gone out to collect firewood and had never returned. Cassandra had looked for hours crying and screaming her name. She was nine.

Just then Cassandra heard a rustle, bringing her out of her memories. She looked around, searching for the thing that might have caused the noise. She then saw it out of the corner of her eye. It was a kind of reptile thing. Cassandra grabbed some scarlet berries and held out her hand towards the thing. He slowly, cautiously came forward. Suddenly, out of nowhere it shot forward, knocking the berries out of her hand. He quickly started gobbling them up. Slowly Cassandra put out her hand to pat him. Just before she could touch him, he shot his head up and growled at her.

He starting backing away and Cassandra quickly said "Hey, it's ok I'm not going to hurt you. My name's Cassandra."

He stopped and looked at her. He tilted his head as if thinking. "Hello, my name is Nirex," spoke this sibilant voice in my mind. She screamed and scurried away from the thing.

"What are you," Cassandra screamed.

 "I am a dragon, of course," Nirex spoke. She turned and ran. When she got inside, she bolted the door and hid under her bed covers.

Just when she was about to untangle herself from the covers, Cassandra heard a tapping on the window. She poked her head out to see the dragon at her window, tapping. Cassandra quickly covered herself with the covers again and she could hear Nirex in her mind again.

"I know your there. I can see you. Please let me in. I don't won't to be captured again."

She shot up her head up, looking at Nirex.

"What?" Cassandra exclaimed.

She open the window and he flew inside, landing onto the table.

"What?" She repeated.

Nirex looked at her and she was suddenly filled with great sadness.

"I used to live in the great City of the Dragons. I was captured by guards looking for a great pet for their king. Will you help me get back home?"

She shook her head. 

"King Henry will reward you. He is the Dragonmaster of my mother."

 "You mean there are humans that live there?"

Nirex nodded and replied, " Yes, we dragons and humans live in peace in the city." Cassandra sighed and was about to reply to Nirex, when knocking started at her door.

Nirex quickly flew under her bed. She swiftly turned and opened the door.

"Hello Lady Cassandra, sorry to bother you," said Rhys.

"Umm hi," Cassandra replied.

He and his two guards were standing at the door again.

"Have you seen this?" the guard that tried to rip her off from before asked. He held up a picture of Nirex. Cassandra shook her head, not trusting her own voice.

"What is it?"

"It is the Kings pet milady," Rhys answered.

She knew they didn't want to reveal anything important to her, so Cassandra shook her head again and they left.

When she closed the door, Nirex flew out of his hiding place and asked " They were looking for me, weren't they?"

"Yes," Cassandra sighed. "I will take you to this City of the Dragons, ok? But I want to come straight back," she said. Nirex nodded and Cassandra started packing things. When she was done, she grabbed Melody and let Nirex climb onto her shoulders.

As they started walking into the forest Cassandra asked,"So where is this City of the Dragons?"

"It is the main city of Parintha," Nirex answers, completely unaware of her gaping.

"You mean it's the neighboring country!" she exclaimed.

"Yes... What is the problem?" Asked Nirex.

"It is the neighboring country! That means we have to walk all that way. And we have get past border security," she explained.

"No, we just have to get to the Fyremouth Caves. I have a friend who can help us there," replied Nirex. She just kept walking, thinking about how to get to the Fyremouth Caves.

* Hope you like the first chapter :)