Chapter 2

City of the Dragons

Cassandra POV

They had been walking for ages. Nirex had chatted non-stop to her.

"Will you be quite, Nirex!" She asked Nirex, clearly exasperated.

"Well no, unless you want me to die?" He replied, smirking a toothy grin. She rolled her eyes at him and sighed. Just then Melody meowed, reminding Cassandra and Nirex of the time.

Cassandra put Melody down and Nirex flew off her shoulders. She put her hand towards her eyes, to shade them from the sun and looked towards the horizon. Cassandra could see geysers shooting up boiling spouts of water and massive cracks filled with lava.

"We're nearly there. I can see the start of the Fyremouth, but not the caves," she explained.

Nirex flew a little up into the air and replied with "The caves will not start until we're in the Fyremouth."

Cassandra stood stock-still, gaping at Nirex. He landed and turned to look at Cassandra.

He smiled a toothy grin and said "What, did you think the caves were at the edge?"

He laughed inside her head. She scowled and grabbed Melody, stomping away from him into the Fyremouth.

Rhys Pov

Rhys had been sitting at the campfire for a while now.

"Sir," spoke Titus.

Rhys looked up at him.

"We have had a tip off again. They are heading towards the Fyremouth Caves."

"Good, we can stop them there or they'll fall down a crack." Rhys smiled. "If that happens we won't even have to get our hands dirty."

Titus nodded and left to confront the men.

Rhys sighed. He had been a double agent, working for King Henry for about eight years. he had been assigned to finding the lost princess. She had been kidnapped by a cruel woman when she was just an infant. And then the dragon prince Nirex had been caught. When Rhys had helped him escape Nirex had been wide-eyed. Only the King and Queen and their dragons knew the truth. Everyone else thought he had betrayed his country. Including the dragon prince. 

Cassandra POV

Cassandra dodged a boiling geyser, knowing full well it was going to blow. Nirex, on the other hand, was flying ahead not bothered by the geysers at all. Melody and Cassandra were back a bit, trying to avoid the geysers at all costs.

"When are we going to get to your friend? And who is your friend?" She questioned Nirex.

He slowed down and turned around in mid-air to face Cassandra.

"He is a grey dragon by the name of Panthgra. He is my fathers Dragonmistress's sisters dragon," explained Nirex.

Cassandra smirked. "Isn't that a mouthful? Wouldn't it be easier to just say his human is the Queens sister?"

"Well yes, but look at it from my point of view," Nirex shot back.

She shrugged her shoulders.

Nirex continued, "He will fly us to Parintha."

She nodded and asked, "What is his humans name?"

"Her name is Light," replied Nirex. Nirex looked over to Caassandra to find a puzzled look on her face.

"Every male dragon has a female Dragonmistress. Every female has a Dragonmaster. But some dragons don't have a rider. Some resist the pull of humans and become what we call a 'free' dragon. They live in the caves surrounding the city," Nirex explained. Cassandra nodded, getting the idea.

Melody had, in the explanation, found a cave. Cassandra noticed that when she sat down on the rocky floor of the cave, her limbs were aching.

"So, who is your Dragonmistress?" She asked Nirex. She felt great sadness wash over her.

"I do not have one. I will never have one. My destined Dragonmistress is supposed to be the princess, but she was stolen when she was a baby," spoke Nirex, his head bowed. Cassandra too bowed her head.

"I am sorry Nirex," she mumbled. "Are we nearly there? Maybe we can get some food there?" Nirex sniffed and nodded in response.

"I know where we are. We are not far from Panthgra's cave," Nirex mumbled, eyes brightening at the thought of seeing another dragon. "C'mon, we'll get there by sunset," Nirex shouted gleefully. Cassandra snorted and made her way outside.

"How can you tell when it's sunset?" She asked, skeptic.

"The temperature drops," explained Nirex, looking for something Cassandra and Melody couldn't see. "There!" He exclaimed. She looked, but could only see a massive, grey spire of rock.

"I can't see anything," she exclaimed.

"Look harder," persisted Nirex. He could sense her feeling of confusion.

"Is it the grey rock?" Nirex smiled and nodded.

When they reached the spire of rock, Nirex growled and touched the rock. It glowed and then faded. They waited and nothing happened. Then all of a sudden, the great spire shook, like something was trying to get out. It split down the middle and out came an old grey dragon and an elderly lady.

* Hope you like this chapter.