Chapter 13

Bella

Recap:

I closed my eyes, after a moment, opening them as I tried to keep my composure. It felt strange saying the words aloud having lived through them so many times mentally.

"She was murdered," I paused, "by someone who wanted revenge."

I breathed, feeling my eyes becoming wet, and blinking to push the tears away, "Aro had killed his mate, so, he wanted to return the favor." Edward was staring at me, trying to look impartial, but I could tell he was feeling completely concerned about my well being in delving back into that particular memory.

I plowed on, almost monotonously, "He had the power of mind control, and he carried this… creature, of sorts, around with him. The thing could somehow paralyze you from the neck down."

Now, the part that Edward needed to hear the most. I shook my head, "The reason why I even know all of this, is because…" I cut myself off, exhaling. Get yourself together, Bella. I cleared my throat as Edward gave me an encouraging squeeze of the hand.

"I was there when it happened."

I felt Edward's thumb stop moving as his hand froze. He exhaled, and before he could open his mouth to say anything, I held up my free hand to stop him. This was the first time I'd allowed myself to go back to that day two years ago, but I had to tell him…explain to him, what had happened. Edward was the only one I knew who I truly felt wouldn't treat me differently after I told him.

"You don't have to say anything. At least, not until I'm finished," I muttered, looking straight at him, as I exhaled. He nodded slightly, still not loosening the grip on my hand, and bringing me an immense amount of comfort with that single action.

I closed my eyes, sifting through the past two years and allowing my mind to finally land on the one I was searching for. The same memory that had given me night terrors every single night for weeks. I had to do this. Not just for Edward, but for my own wellbeing. It wasn't healthy to continue holding onto this.

Flashback:

It was March break, and I had been on cloud nine pretty much from the moment I'd heard the final bell go off at school. The beginning of two whole weeks away from classes, assignments, exams – the simple idea was enough to make me break out into an overbearing grin.

Since neither of us had our licenses just yet, Jace and I were usually chauffeured home. Most of the times, Felix was sent, or Heidi. But this was no ordinary day, and it demanded someone extraordinary to fetch us.

"I'll catch a ride home with Liam, okay?" Jace nodded towards me, gym bag slung across his shoulder as the rest of his friends lagged behind while he finished his conversation.

"Sure, but you're missing out on hot fudge sundaes, just saying," I shrugged, pursing my lips as I began to envision the delectable dessert we were supposed to receive in celebration of surviving another semester of hell. It was a ritual of my mom's to take us to places where we'd stuff our faces with junk.

Jace's mouth turned into a pout, "It's not my fault Coach is a maniac and doesn't give us a break. Bells, please, can we reschedule?"