p r o l o g u e

"We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills;  we shall never surrender..."

- winston churchill (d u n k i r k )

╔══════════ °• ♔ •° ══════════╗

 1940

Dearest Winnie,

Finally, after months of training, I shall be flying out on my first mission tonight. I hope and pray that it will be successful and that I make you all proud.  It breaks my heart to know the pain that I am causing Mother. I know she almost lost my father in the Great War, and that we lost many good men from the village. But I cannot stand by and watch the world that my father and so many others fought for be lost among this new evil. 

I do not know whether I will ever see you or Downton again. When I am on the continent and feeling low, I shall think back to the summers we spent getting into all sorts of mischief and all those funny pranks we pulled-much to poor old Donk's dismay! 

I hope that by the time this letter reaches you, I shall be safely back in London eagerly awaiting your response.

All I ask, should anything happen to me, please look after yourself  and my mother, and to bury me beside my father.

Pray for me dear Sybbie, I do need it.

Your ever hopeful and endearing cousin,

Badger 

╚══════════ °• ♔ •° ══════════╝

tbc

AN: The story will be told mainly from Susan's perspective with occasional bits from Sybbie & George. I have many twists and turns planned for this crossover so please bare with me while I work them out :)

^also winnie and badger are nicknames which will be explained as the story continues...