Round 1

Round 1 :) <3

  I sneaked up behind her, my birdlike wings barely making any flapping noise at all.  Not that Sara would have heard them anyway.  She had those ‘thingies’ in her ears.  What were they called? Hear-o-music s or something, I think.

  Then I pounced on her back and started to tickle her.  “Guess who!” I yelled cheerfully. This was supposed to be the part when she giggled helplessly and screamed at me to stop.

  But this time something was different.  She screamed at me and yanked the ‘Hear-o-music s’ from her ears.  She didn’t sound happy. “Danny,” she said, like if she wanted me to…and I could be wrong but…she sounded like…like she wanted me to go away.  Sara wouldn’t ever want her best imaginary friend in the whole wide world forever and ever to go away, right?

 She plugged the ‘thingies’ more firmly into her ears but I playfully pulled them out again.  I sat next to her on her bed.  “I feel like an adventure today, Sara!” I told her.  “Let’s got to the moon- I hear it’s made of cotton candy! Your favourite.”

  She didn’t even smile.

  “Or if your sweet tooth isn’t awake yet, maybe we can check out the jungles of Africa.  We can go on one of those safaris, just like we used to.”  I started to get really excited.  It had been a while since Sara and I went exploring.  “And we can visit Roary the lion,” I say.  “And Hannah Hippo, too.  And the elephants with the wacky noses.” 

  I pretended to be an elephant, waving my arm by my nose and making noises. I laughed, but when Sara didn’t laugh with me…I felt something I had never felt before…I think you call it a little bit of sadness.

  “No Danny,” she said. “We can’t go to the moon, or the safari or anywhere.”

  “But, why?”

  “Because it’s impossible…I mean, the moon is millions of miles away and we don’t even have a rocket ship.”

  “You can make one- you always do.  And we can call Buzz Light-year to fly the ship for us.”

  “Buzz Light-year isn’t real, Danny.  Our rocket ships weren’t real.  Our trips weren’t real.”

  My eyes widened.  She couldn’t be serious, right? Did she really not believe in all the fun we’d had anymore?   “You sound like your Mom, Sara.  I think you’re becoming a grown up…But you said you never would.”

  She rolled her eyes.

  I blinked.  Maybe she just needed me to remind her, to show her that nothing was impossible when the two of us were playing.  “It is real, Sara.  Come on, I’ll show you.  Just give me one teeny chance to show you, pretty please with sprinkles on top?”

  I looked at her for a good, long time as I waited for her reply.  She looked different.  She had her hair in a ponytail instead of loose.  She wore no pink bow and her clothes were a top and a pair of jeans even though she had always said she preferred dresses.

  She really did look like a grown-up.

  “Please?” I pleaded with her.  And for a second she looked like the old Sara.  Her blue eyes still sparkled the same way and I almost thought she was going to say yes.

  “No Danny,” she said and it was a blow to the heart.  “Maybe sometime- I have to go out this evening.”

  “Where could you go that’s more exciting than the moon?” I wondered.  “And with who? You always said no one was more fun than me.”

  “The girls are hanging out tonight.”

  “Oh.  Can I come?”

  “Are you a girl, Danny?”

  I chuckled.

  “I have to go now.”  And Sara left without even saying good-bye.  I never knew she could be so mean.  A fat tear rolled down my cheek.  I don’t think in all my imaginary life I ever cried until then. 

  I sat on her bed feeling sorry for myself.  If Sara was growing up, I’d lose my best friend.  She wouldn’t love me anymore even though I still loved her so much.

  My tears would not cease, they came in waterfalls down my cheek.  Had I done something wrong?  Was I a bad friend?  Why didn’t Sara like me anymore?

  I lifted my hand to wipe my face when I noticed something alarming.  My hand was fading.  It was pale, like a ghost’s.  I knew at once what was happening.  Sara was starting to ignore me, and I was getting fainter and fainter. 

  “At least she still talks to you.” I heard a voice say. “She said your trips weren’t real but she never said you weren’t.  As long as she still believes in you, there’s some hope.”