Chapter 1: Annabeth

Annabeth

Percy Jackson was dead.

No one knew exactly how. Everyone assumed he'd been stabbed, but the charred remains of the former hero couldn't be properly identified as Percy, nonetheless what killed him.

They did know that the body was 5'11", (Percy's height), the body was found lying on top of a magical ball-point pen (Percy's sword), and that a "save her" had been scratched onto the floor in Percy's handwriting.

"Leave!" He shouted loud enough to be heard over the fire truck sirens. "Get out now, I'm dying anyway!"

Knowing it was the smart thing to do, and after having looked at him pleadingly, Annabeth said "sorry," and ran.

Percy had been right. As soon as she had gotten towards the exit of the building, it exploded.

"Ugh!" Annabeth sucked in a very audible breath as she woke up from yet another nightmare. It seemed all of her nightmares were about Percy lately.

She heard the rustling of blankets, and heard the tell-tale wooden floor creak. Annabeth sat up and squinted. "Max?" She asked.

"Ugh," he said, stopping in his tracks.

Max was one of the new campers--an Athena legacy. He was only about 1/2 demigod genetically, but Athena had specifically asked Chiron to let him into camp. "Damn, busted," he said.

"What're you doing up?"

Through the dark, Annabeth could see him shrug. "Couldn't sleep."

"You're lying. What's really going on?"

Max made a regretful face and went over to the closet. He pulled out a bag of Sour Patch Kids and tossed them to her.

"I'll share," he said taking another bag out of the closet, "but don't tell anyone, 'Kay? It'll be our little secret." She smiled half-heartedly.

"'Kay."

About an hour later it was sunny outside, and Max helped Annabeth get the other campers up. They all went to breakfast, and Annabeth made the mistake of sitting on the left side of the table.

Sitting on the left side of the table gave her an undisturbed view of his table. Percy's table. But not Percy.

"Hey," Max said prodding her with his elbow. "You okay?"

"Yeah," she said, not really meaning it. "I'm fine."

In an attempt to keep her mind off of a certain son of Poseidon, Annabeth turned to face the head table, where she saw Chiron looking her, asking to have one of their silent conversations.

Annabeth, I need to speak with you.

Okay.

Annabeth knew that Chiron probably had more to say, but Annabeth took a sudden interest in her food. She heard the whispers from her cabin mates, but ignored them. She'd gotten pretty good at ignoring things lately.

As soon as Annabeth finished her food, she went over to Chiron.

"You wanted to talk to me?" she asked.

"Yes. I regret to ask an... Unfortunate favor."

Annabeth sighed. "What is it?"

"Well, the Pegasi have been using the stables we built, and we don't have Percy here to clean them. I hate to ask this of you, but could you clean the stables?"

"Okay."

"You can go to activities with your cabin first, but it really needs to get done."

"No, it's okay," she said, the beginning of her sentence overlapping with the end of his. "I might as well get it over with." She went back to her cabin and leaned in to Max's ear.

"Hey, I'm doing a favor for Chiron, can you lead the cabin to activities. They have sword fighting with Per-- um, Jason first."

"Okay," he said, setting down his fork and looking at Annabeth. "What's the favor?"

"Stable cleaning," she said. Annabeth walked out of the mess hall and noticed Piper talking to Chiron. She didn't think much of it.

As she entered the stables, Annabeth realized why the task had been delegated to her. No one else would have done it willingly, except for maybe--

No. She refused to think about him.