Chapter 12

Miserable and scared I was going to end up dead for this, I called Fred.

"Hello?" he answered on the first ring.

"Fred I think I found that weapon you were looking for," I whispered.

"Hold on I'm taking a plane over right now," he said and hung up. It was our code, for when we were in trouble. He used it when he got trapped in a target's house, back when he was field agent. I used it last when I lost a target's trail.

I received a text from my private server a few minutes later.

Fred: My flight comes in at 1 am sit tight and calm down, don't do anything you could get noticed for. It'll be alright Hunter.

Hunter: I screwed this whole mission.

Fred: Don't say that kid, we'll figure it out.

Hunter: I hope.

Fred has signed off

I turned the server off and saw Colton from the window waving for me to come down. I pursed my lips I shouldn't, I should stay inside. But it was Colton how could I possibly mess this up more? With my heart racing I went downstairs to the car.

"Where's Charlie?" I asked.

"Oh he left, something about not wanting to get his shoes wet or something," Colton said casually while looking into his car, he finally turned and I could tell he saw the look on my face and realized I was upset.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

I shrugged. Colton studied my face and I could tell for once my walls weren't up and I wasn't as guarded.

"What happened?" he asked.

I opened my mouth but I quickly closed it, I couldn't really tell him that I messed up my whole mission and that it was all because of him. I leaned against the car and slid down so I was sitting against it. Colton followed suit and we sat in silence.

"I wish my parents were dead," I said finally.

Colton gave me a funny look. "Why?"

"Why do you think?" I asked. "If I return from this mission they'll kill me," I whispered.

"Oh I thought you were going to say because they made you into a killer, but yeah that sucks too," he said.

"I don't care for the killing part, whatever they say,  I could stop if I wanted to, but if I stop they'd kill me," I explain.

"You're not addicted to killing?" he asked.

"I'm an assassin not a psychopath serial killer," I said smiling faintly. "I'd stop killing if the agency was gone."

"Then we'll take down the agency," he announced.

I scoffed at the notion. "Yeah right," I said softly. "But one can dream," I muttered.

"Is that really your life?" he asked. "I mean are you really going to do this your whole life?"

"We don't last that long, most agents die before their fortieth birthday," I said.

"Why?" he asked.

"Why do you think? We either get sloppy deliberately hoping we would die, or we would try to leave and get killed."

I leaned back against Colton's car and sighed. "To be honest I never cared whether I lived or died, until this mission, now all I can think about is what the dead people's families are doing and what's going to happen to me," I said softly.