Key symbols: the Lotus and the Rose

Harry and Zayn both have grey flower tattoos on exactly the same place on their left forearm. Both flowers are the same approximate size and style. Harry's is a rose and Zayn's a lotus flower. I , along with many other Zarries, believe that Harry and Zayn use these flowers as symbols to refer to each other: the rose for Harry and the lotus flower for Zayn.

The lotus flower is an extremely important Zarry symbol for many reasons. (Traditionally this flower symbolises rebirth - the plant itself has a quite incredible life cycle: with its roots based in mud, the flower submerges each night and miraculously "reblooms" the next day without residue on its petals. In addition the seeds of the flower can go into a kind of suspended animation, reviving after many years - even millennia - dormant). So the lotus not only represents Zayn, it also represents for Zarry fresh starts. Finally it actually symbolises the Zarry relationship itself, which is doomed to flourish in the shadows, never gone but re-emerging whenever circumstances allow them to be together.

(As I will show you, Harry and Zayn use this stunning poetic image over and over to describe their love: a love which may have to hide in the shadows but which is reborn - flawlessly - time and time again: a love which is part-time but everlasting. )

Let's look at the evidence.

Zayn tweeted an image of a lotus flower when he signed a new record deal with RCA and broke up with Perrie.

Zayn's album cover features his arm tattoos, the most prominent of which is the henna lotus (a stylised version of the lotus flower).

Harry's album cover features the part of his skin that has no tattoos, the only visible symbol on his skin being a gold lotus flower pendant necklace.

The rose ring: a very important talisman that Zarry share. Count how often you see the ring worn by one of them. They also share other rings, often wearing them on the same hand. See Zarry Documentaries' stellar work on youtube for more details and pictures of the rings.

When Zigi split up in March, Zayn posted a picture on his Instagram of a new tattoo on the back of his head: a large, grey rose snaking from his shaven scalp to his neck.....meaning.... Harry. Remember, around this time Harry started singing his new song Medicine at live shows, virtually coming out in the process.

When Zayn reunited with Gigi in May 2018 he was pictured trying to kiss her in a New York street. The fact that such an apparently emotional reunion was caught on camera in high definition in a public place suggests strongly that it was staged. And the most notable thing about the photograph? The brand new, large tattoo of the henna (stylised) lotus flower on the side of his head. A clear symbol to those that really care and really follow him, that his priority is actually Zarry. Incidentally, on the same day Zigi supposedly reunited Zayn released nine certified lyric videos to songs from Mind of Mine on Vevo - the first time he had certified the lyrics to those songs. The message? That for serious fans, it is the lyrics that contain the important story, so far from the showmance hype cooked up to satisfy the mainstream media.

Notice how often flowers are referred to in the lyrics of Zarry's songs, used in their videos and on their album cover art. Zayn even includes a song on Mind of Mine called Intermission: Flower. I will go through these references in detail in later chapters.

In addition, there is another flower that Zarry use in their language of symbols and that will form the subject of the next chapter.