Stockholm Syndrome

Oooh... hold on tight 'cuz this is where Zarry's songs change from purely romantic to pretty damn sexual.

At first sight Stockholm Syndrome is, lyrically, a standard One Direction song: a little bit suggestive but quite vague. 

 It was released in November 2014 as part of the album Four.

Incidentally, Stockholm syndrome itself is defined as "feelings of trust or affection felt in many cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim towards a captor".

The only member of the band that contributed to the writing of the song was Harry.  Zayn "leaked" the song months before it was released by singing it in the video that emerged of Louis and him smoking something in a taxi ha ha. (Despite what other zarries have said, I don't think we can draw any conclusions from that as it could be that they were recording the song at that time!)

However, Harry and Zayn confirmed that the song was about being trapped by a girl or by love – Harry even describes the captor as "a nympho" in the Four Hangout livestream in November 2014 (the conversation starts around 26 minutes in). 

What is interesting about this conversation is that Harry and Zayn have all the input into the answers about the meaning of the song - none of the other band members contribute ... which isn't surprising as regards Harry, as he wrote the song... but it is very striking that Zayn became so involved in explaining the meaning.  Zayn is pretty quiet for the rest of the interview, but he expresses quite strong objections when the interviewer misunderstands what the song is actually about... Zayn shakes his head and frowns. Quite a strong reaction for Mr M!  Could it be that the song is very important to him??

The song is certainly important to Harry: he includes it in his (Zarry-heavy) solo tour setlist...

Let's look at some of the lyrics:

Who's that shadow holding me hostage

I've been here for days

Who's this whisper telling me that I'm never gonna get away?

I know they'll be coming to find me soon

But I feel I'm getting used to

Being held by you

Oh

Baby look what you've done to me

Baby you've got me tied down

Baby I'll never leave if you keep holding me this way

Back in 2014 there wasn't much to suggest that the song was about Zarry, apart from the rather intense Four Hangout interview. BUT fast forward a few years when Zayn and Harry have released their solo material...  and we can see that their songs contain SO many references to being trapped for days in hotel rooms... giving in to a forbidden desire... spending hours doing one thing... with someone you shouldn't want but do .... In a hidden relationship with someone you can't ultimately have.

There is also a strong suggestion from Zarry's solo songs that the relationship entered into S&M territory – which fits perfectly with the idea of the captor / captive in Stockholm Syndrome.

Examples:

"Prisoners.... then we're free"

and:

"In the bed all day / bed all day

Fucking and fighting on

It's a paradise and it's a warzone." 

-  Pillowtalk (note that Pillowtalk talks about "pissing off the neighbours" with sex sounds... I don't think it's very likely that the neighbours of Zarry's own multi-million dollar homes would be able to hear through the walls ... so the sex – if the song's about something real - must be happening in a hotel room)

"Woke up alone in this hotel room

Played with myself / where were you?" 

 - From the Dining Table

"Broke a finger knocking on your bedroom door/

I got splinters in my knuckles crawling cross the floor

- Only Angel

"We are who we are / when no one's watching" 

-  I Won't Mind

"Push me up against the wall / Don't take it easy

You like it hard like me / it's what you need" 

- TiO

"Meet me in the hallway

I just left your bedroom / give me some morphine

Is there any more to do?" 

- Meet me in the Hallway (NB in this song Harry compares his need for Zayn to an addiction to drugs – see my later chapter on this song)

"End up meeting in the hallway every single time

And there's nothing we can do about it" 

-  Only Angel

"The cage I was in / fell away

When (s)he asked me to dance again..."

- Bright

If you don't believe that the song lyrics above are about Zarry (and I know it's hard to believe) please reserve judgement until you have read the rest of the chapters to come. Also bear in mind that Zayn tweeted a photo of Harry naked in a hotel room one morning, only to delete it straight away.  See the YT zarry videos (especially zarry documentaries) for details and the other evidence about Zarry's coinciding tweets, rings and clothes.  You will see that it's pretty clear they were sleeping together.