Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Valentine's Day (February)-Christina

Anna and I sat together at lunch, watching it rain through one of the large windows on the far side of the cafeteria. I pushed my fruit salad around with my fork, not entirely convinced that the stuff floating in the juice was really peaches and cherries.

"So how was the dance?" Anna asked.

I made a face. "You wouldn't have to ask if you had been there."

"Sorry." She shrugged and took a bite of her sandwich. "I couldn't help that I had a cold. If it makes you feel better, I was miserable."

It did make me feel a little better, but I didn't tell Anna that. "I was miserable too. I had to wear a dress and my mom insisted that I wear heels." I shuddered at the memory of walking around in high heel shoes. I didn't move from the table most of the night because I was afraid of falling on my face.

Anna laughed. "I would've loved to have seen that! So...did you talk to Travis?"

"No. I mean, yes. He came over to my table and talked to me, but I didn't talk to him. I mean, I tried, but I couldn't think of anything to say."

"If I were alone with Travis, I wouldn't be able to think of anything to say either," Anna said with a grin. She batted her eyelashes and made kissing noises.

"Anna, shut up!"

She laughed again. I took a swipe at her but she dodged me.

"I wasn't trying to kiss him. Not in front of Ed, anyway."

"Your tutor was there?"

"Yeah. He's not just my tutor. He's like my buddy. He brought chocolates for Ashley, and she gave them to me and called me fat in front of Travis. I wanted to strangle her with her pretty blond hair."

"She's a jerk."

I nodded in agreement.

"What did Travis say?"

"Nothing! He stood there with a bouquet of roses, kissed her and walked off!" I slammed my hand down on the table. "It was freaking awful!"

"I'm sorry, Chris."

I put my head down on my arms so no one would see me cry. I didn't know which was worse: admitting that I wanted Travis or admitting that he didn't want me.

Anna patted my arm. "He doesn't deserve you anyway. You're too awesome for him."

My pity party was interrupted by an unwelcome guest. "Hey, Anna." I looked up. There was Travis, his backpack slung over his shoulder, holding a lunch tray. He looked gorgeous, like he had just finished a photo shoot for a magazine. "Hey, Chris."

"What do you want?" I snapped as I took a quick swipe at my eyes.

"Well, it's a cafeteria, so I guess I want to eat." He smiled but I didn't smile back. "Mind if I join you?"

"No," Anna said at the same time that I said, "Yes."

"Great." He sat down next to me. "So, what were you talking about?"

"Nothing." I glanced at Anna, warning her with my eyes to be quiet. "We were just getting ready to go to class." I collected my trash and piled it on my tray.

"Oh." He sounded disappointed. "It doesn't look like you ate much."

"School lunch sucks." I stood and picked up my bag. "Tell Ashley I said hi."