◈2

Chapter Two: Misunderstood

"Gilbert, ma'am, Gilbert Blythe" he said holding his hand up to his chest and taking off his hat in a respectful manner

"Gilbert, ma'am, Gilbert Blythe" he said holding his hand up to his chest and taking off his hat in a respectful manner. If i were to say he isn't handsome, I'd be lying to myself. He had short curly brown hair, hazel green eyes, and a sharp jawline. Any girl with the right mindset would fall for him.

"Well i never, you must be the first to ever call me 'ma'am'" she shook her head, she turned her attention back to me with a look of worry and plead in her eyes.

"Don't worry, i won't tell my mother about this. I understand that you wanted to see your son after what I'm guessing is a long time" i smiled softly, she nodded and turned back to her son, pulling him into another hug. I looked at them with a soft smile, they reminded me of me and my father.

I've never had a closer relationship with anyone other than my father. We always had an unspoken bond. He taught me to embrace my red hair instead of hide it. It was and still is an utter tragedy when he died so suddenly. Doctors said he had an unsurvivable heart attack. He always did say he'd love me till his last final breath.

"So, why are you here?" Hazel asked the boy that stood behind Sebastian, he chuckled and turned to Sebastian with a sarcastic smirk.

"Well, Sebastian has promised me the best Trinidadian bush medicine?" Gilbert said with a knowing look to Sebastian to which he just pursed his lips together and gave Gilbert a sharp side glance. Hazel smile and shook her head, heading inside to go attend to his request.

Now i was left with Sebastian and Gilbert. Though they seemed like nice people, I'm not a 'people person' as my father used to call it.

"Uh...I'm Rosetta Berkley. Rose" i smiled awkwardly.

"Beautiful name, it kinda reminds me of your hair" Gilbert said pointing to my hair. I chuckled and looked down, as if i hadn't heard that one for the past 15 years of my life.

"Well, if i had a coin for every time i heard that one, I'd be the richest woman alive" i joked, Gilbert chuckled and shook his head. I don't think I've ever seen a boy with a cuter smile then him. It wasn't one of those fake smiles that i had seen all my life, it was a genuine smile.

"Aren't you already rich?" asked Sebastian looking up at the tall mansion in front of him. My smiles faded as the thought of them thinking of some spoiled brat came into mind. I disliked being defined as rich just because of my family's success, i hate the word 'rich', it makes me seem snobby, i prefer to be one of the fortunate ones.

"My family's money isn't mine" i mumbled quietly, i didn't think they heard me until Gilbert spoke up.

"W-we know, i-I'm sorry about him, he's not the brightest of them all" he stuttered with a small smile, Sebastian gave him an offended look and shook his head. I chuckled at their unspoken banter.

"It's okay, i just..,don't want you guys to assume that I'm some spoiled brat that doesn't work for anything" Hazel came back out in a hurry and handed Gilbert a bowl of food.

"Here you go, now you best be on your way before madam comes outside" she said in a quick manner, Sebastian gave her a hurt and confused expression.

"I could come back tomorrow" he suggested

"No no no, it's fine. If you come back here, you're looking for trouble" she shook her head defensively, she gave him a soft smile and headed back inside to call for dinner.

"Come on, Blythe." Sebastian said, Gilbert nodded and stood up with the bowl in hand.

"Hey...maybe we can catch up later" i said with a hopeful smile, Gilbert turned around and gave me a small smirk.

"I'd love too, Rose"

Sorry it's a short chapter but hope you liked it anyway.
Ps i have a Lucas Jade Zumann book called Hostage, go check it out, it's very different then any other Lucas book you've read.