Chapter 1

Series Director:MELECIO C. DEAUNA
Consultant:GINO T.BAUTISTA
Notice of Product Replacement

In case you would find this product defective,please be informed that you may return this book to Saint Mary's Publishing Corporation for replacement.

All Rights Reserved
No part of this publication may be reproduced,stored in a retrieval system or transmitted by any means,be it electronic,mechanical,photocopying or likewise,without prior permisson from the publisher.

Copyright 2011 by Saint Mary's Publishing Corporation ,and Melecio C.Deauna and Florita L.Deauna

ISBN:978-971-0444-04-5

Saints Mary's Publishing Corporation
3rd Floor,SMPC Building,1308 P.Guevarra cor.
E.Remigio St .,Sta Cruz,Manila 1003
Tel.Nos:735-1221/735-1222 Telefax:735-0955
Mobile:09178305193
Email:saintmaryspublishingcorp@smpc.com.ph

Contents

Foreword vii.
Preface ix

Chapter 1

Lesson 1.Let Us Count Up to 100 2.Let Us Count Up 1000 21
3.Let Us Count Up 10 000 44
4.Understanding Ordinal Numbers 63
5.Understanding Roman Numerals 72
Let's Look Back 80
Test Yourself 81

Foreword
Mathematics is a universal language.
This universality makes it a powerful language.
Futhermore,the fact that it is quantitative makes the communication more precise and accurate.The laws of nature,for instance,when expressed in a mathematical form are much easier to interpret.It is for these reasons that everybody should learn the fundamentals of mathematics.That is why mathematics has long been included in the curriculum for basic education.
Mathematics as a discipline is a coherent blending of a way of thinking,a language
that is logical,a carefully organized structure of knowledge noted for its clarity and precision.Mathematics is fascinating,interesting,and even alluring.Yet it has the reputation of being difficult,boring,and a hard subject to study.It has acquired such a reputation because to learn it requires concentration,dedication,diligence,persistence,perserverance,and sustained effort.After learning the basic concepts and principles,practice and more practice,drill and more drill,and solution after solution of problems are necesarry for the concepts and principles to be permanently embedded in the mind of the learner.For this reason,mathematics is often credited with developing strength of character among the learners.
A good textbook in the hands of a competent teacher goes a long way toward helping the child to fall in love with mathematics and succeed as a learner.We like to think that our series is Let's Do Math for grade school pupils
has those characteristics.Math should gradually become part of the pupils' personality if the lessons are bulit around the personal experiences of the child and only if they continue to practice,do exercises,and solve problems.Hence the title,Let's Do Math.
In this series the approach is spiral in nature.Concepts,principles,and applications are first treated in the simplest possible way,and then very gradually,the concepts and principles are expaneded,and the applications become more challenging.This is in line with the growth of mental maturity of the learner.
Equally important is making the study of mathematics enjoyble.
T

he pupils in the classroom should be kept busy manipulating objects,writing answers to drill exercises,mentally figguring out solutions to problems,and thinking about logical connection s among concepts.Coorperative learning should also be encouraged where pupils help one another figure out solutions
to interesting problems.
It is our hope that Let's Do Math will,even in a small way,contribute toward making mathematics a likeable subject to study and for the pupils to realize that mathematics plays an important role in thier daily lives.
Dr.Melecio C. Deauna
Preface
To the teacher
Most of the topics that you will teach grade 2 are the same as those in grade 1.The only difference is in degree of difficulty.For example,numbers that will be studied in grade 2 are larger than those of grade 1.
But there is continuity.Therefore,it is suggested that you start a particular lesson by helping the pupils recall what they have studied in grade 1,and then connect them with the present lesson.
Current research in the psychology of learning and teaching revals that better learning takes place if pupils make use of all the senses while learning.They should be