Five

It wasn't like the woman to be late, normally Zhang Meng was punctual to a fault. But the earlier work lunch had overrun and even though she had driven at top speed all the way back to the office, the meeting had already started. Waltzing through the doors, the woman put on her best business smile, hoping to distract those present in the meeting from her tardiness.

"And here's our director of communications."

Her brother's personal assistant pulled a chair out for her. "I'm sorry I am late. My last meeting took longer than expected."

From the head of the conference table, Jiang Chao nodded, "It's OK, we just started. Zhang Meng, this is the vice president of Ice."

Still standing, the woman looked towards the individual her brother gestured towards, ready to exchange introductions.

"Ying Kong Shi."

As the man rose up, Zhang Meng found something vaguely familiar about him.

"Pleased to meet you, I'm Zhang Meng."

She got a glimpse of a fleeting smirk when he reached forward to receive her business card. When his fingers touched the piece of thick cardstock, there was an unmistaken buzz of electricity that grazed her own finger tips. Was the adrenaline from running late acting up?

The director was ever the professional, keeping her face poker straight as the meeting dived head deep into business. Although was she imagining things or was Ice's Vice President looking at her even when everyone else in the room was focused on Jiang Chao's presentation?

To confirm this suspicion, the woman met Ying Kong Shi's fixed gaze. Instead of pretending to ignore him, she defiantly engaged in this stare down - Hu Bing's only daughter wasn't one to back down.

A glint of blue flashed in the man's pupils.

Now frowning, she came to the realisation that this potential big client was the same weirdo who mistook her for someone else at the club nights ago.

Was it just a coincidence?

It wasn't in the woman's nature to ponder over such trival matters that other females might be intrigued by. Being the only girl growing up in a male dominated household meant that she played with cars and dinosaurs and never cried over scraped knees and elbows. She ran behind Ya Xin and Jiang Chao and their various buddies, and learnt the ways of the world through male eyes and minds.

Male attention never fazed her.

Whatever it is, nothing was more important than business, so Zhang Meng gallantly looked away, losing the staring battle.

"If this deal works out, both our companies would greatly benefit." Jiang Chao and Ying Kong Shi exchanged a firm handshake at the end of three-hour long meeting, outside the conference room. It had to be the first time that Zhang Meng had met such a young man who held such a high position in a company that wasn't family dominated. Although there was something dubious about this individual's background. When the director researched about Ice, it seemed that Ying Kong Shi simply materialised out of nowhere 10 years ago - there was nothing she could find online about his previous employment history or even where he went to school.

The potential client agreed, "Well, we've got a good start but let's not jump the gun."

"Of course, of course. We do need a few more meetings before anything can be finalised." As the company's CIO, Jiang Chao guided the vice president down the line of senior management waiting to say goodbye.

At the communications director Ying Kong Shi stopped, the same smirk re-surfacing. For a second, she held her breath wondering what he was going to say - did he recognise her?

"Miss Zhang, I would like to bring you out to dinner."

This blatant proposition led Zhang Meng's professional facade to crack slightly - for once she was at a loss for words. What the hell was this man doing? Asking her out in front of everyone, especially her colleagues, like that.

Sensing his sister's impending refusal, Jiang Chao easily came behind Zhang Meng, "It will be her pleasure."

WIth a tilt of her head, Zhang Meng gave her brother a side eye but before she could protest, Jiang Chao put one hand on her shoulder, as a warning to keep quiet.

"I will pick you up at 7pm later. See you." And with that parting statement, Ying Kong Shi walked off.

Not wanting to make a fuss in front of everyone present, the director simply stomped towards the lift, knowing that her brother would follow her. Jabbing the up button with a manicured finger, Zhang Meng's blood was boiling. When the lift's door opened, the CIO's PA and her subordinate had the good sense not to enter.

"What the fuck, Chao Chao?" Alone with her brother in the elevator, the woman finally exploded. "Why the hell do I have to entertain him outside work?"

"Ying Kong Shi is an important client so you don't have a choice." Jiang Chao was amused by the turn of events, he had heard of Ying Kong Shi's icy reputation through the grapevine but unexpectedly the cold vice president had taken an interest in his fiery sister of all people, presenting a chance to aid in the merger talks.

"He's creepy!" Zhang Meng hated to act like a child within the office but this situation was plain ridiculous.

Not being able to hide his laughter, Jiang Chao chuckled, "Please for god's sake, do not offend the man."

"What am I? A prostitute?"

Without skipping a beat, even at his sister's choice of word, Jiang Chao simply suggested, "Well, you finally have an occasion to wear that new red dress."