Chapter 1

Miles Brasher stormed down the old-fashioned cobblestone walkway leading out of the crowded, noisy apartment that he called home. Another day, another fight. He'd gotten into another fight with his brother who he shared an apartment with because the lazy, self-righteous prick wouldn't get off his ass and get a job. His face glowed red with anger in the oncoming darkness, as it usually did when he was very upset. Ryder was going to get both of them thrown out of their trashy apartment if he didn't pitch in and do his damn part! And now here he was, chased out of his own home - which was rightfully his, he was the only one who paid the damn rent anyways - by his parasite of a brother. Miles clenched his jaw so hard it almost hurt, and he felt a sudden wild urge to turn around and rush back into the war-zone for round two of the screaming match. But this passed almost as soon as it had come. He had never been much of a fighter, especially not against family. He knew he would only be chased out once again by his ungrateful younger sibling's unrelenting storm of insults and empty threats. No, that wouldn't do. He might snap and do something he would regret. His brother was a wimp and although he talked tough, Miles often reassured himself with the knowledge that he could snap him in half if he so pleased. Although he knew deep in his heart that he could never do such a thing.

    Hah. He was more of a wimp than Ryder was when it came to fights. He sighed as the fiery rage in his chest dimmed down to a more manageable level, the cool, still air of the early-autumn night surrounding him as he walked. He wouldn't go back just yet. A walk through the woods might do him good. It might be nice to escape the craziness for a while. He knew there weren't many animals back there, most were driven away by the noise and chaos of human civilization. The wolves and bears would undoubtedly be lurking deeper within the forest, probably asleep by now. The sun had long since set and the moon had begun to rise above the trees, no more than a pale sliver of light in the dark, cloudless sky.

    The moon was a lovely sight, serenely unaltered by the chaos and clutter of the earth below. He sighed and lowered his gaze back to the rugged path before him. It stretched onwards for what looked like miles, reaching deep into the untamed forest. His escape. He made up his mind to go in a little ways and cool off, admire the lovely scenery, then go back and try to reason with his brother once again. Rinse and repeat, he thought dully, beginning to quicken his pace once more.

    The forest was beautiful at night, but the darkness made the entire place almost alien to him. He had come to the forest many times before in his childhood. It had always been his escape from reality. From school, from his bullies, and even from his friends. It was always there, waiting for him. But now it felt odd, dead and silent. In his nostalgia he could almost mistake the silence for peace. But something at the back of his mind was thoroughly creeped out by the lack of any other animal. No raccoons, no owls, no eerie wailing howl of wolves in the night. Nothing but the trees, whose lovely autumn colors were obscured by the pressing darkness. He continued walking though, slowing down but never stopping. He remembered that there was a clearing ahead and sped up a bit. He would stop there and then return back home. But as he neared the clearing he noticed that something had already arrived there before him. He paused, unsure of what he was seeing, before cautiously stepping out from the shelter of the trees to approach it.

    A horse stood there in the middle of the clearing, tall and majestic. It was a beautiful creature, and he was surprised to see that it was alone, not grouped with one of the many horse herds that roamed these woods and the hills around them. Its head was raised to the sky as it seemed to gaze wistfully up at the stars, which glinted like dull stones in comparison to the pearly glow of its coat. As he stood there it lowered its head to look at him and for a moment he feared it might run off but it didn't. The horse instead examined him with a focused, mild gaze like it had been waiting for him to arrive. Miles stood there dumbfounded as the creature approached him, flicking its long ivory tail gracefully. As it neared him he could see that it still had a bridle draped over its head, which shone like woven gold against its alabaster coat. It was clearly a tame creature, as it approached him without so much as a hint of fear. And anyway the wild, ruthless forests couldn't possibly produce such a beauty. Surely years of selective breeding had gone into such a horse. Its fur, mane and tail were all a milky white color that almost seemed to glow in the moonlight. Although it was trotting slowly now, he could see the powerful muscles ripple under its coat as it moved. It could undoubtedly run like the wind if he made any sudden moves. He stood perfectly still and tried not to breathe as the horse approached him and started sniffing him curiously. He vaguely noticed that its breath was oddly cold on his skin, more like a winter breeze than the breath of a living animal. But he was too entranced to really notice. "Hi there..." He said carefully, reaching out a hand to stroke the horse's neck. But it pulled away just before his fingertips reached the velvety fur.