What Was in the Comments

Author's Note:

Hi! I'm so glad everybody likes the work I wrote in the comments of that writing prompt!

This first part will be all of what was posted in the comments section before I moved it to the doc, where writing was continued.

The continued version, (the stuff that was added) will be posted in the next addition to this story.

Happy Reading!

- Maggie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Remember: This is the part that was in the comments of the prompt on Pinterest)

She was lost in the demon king's castle, determined to find her companion.

Lights floated eerily along the walls, giving everything the look of  a dark, red, fire-like haze.

"Where'd you go?" she called.

"I'm right here," came the reply. He stepped out of the shadows, cloak swirling in the nonexistent wind.

"Thank goodness you're okay." She raced over to hug him. "The foul demon king's afoot. I'd thought he'd gotten to you."

"Don't be silly, my dear," he replied, pulling away. "He could never get to me,"

"Now you're being crazy," she scowled. "The king could get to anyone, do anything to them."

"That's not the reason, my dear."  His eyes began to glow a bright, demonic red, his features morphing and changing. "The demon king can't harm me, you see," A ghastly crown weaved out of smoke and topped itself on his head. "Because I am the demon king."

She waited down in the dungeons, clutching the weapon, the only thing that he - the wicked king - knew nothing of.

It was later that night when she saw him again. He looked the part of a king that time, neat and tidy; a harshness in the way that he kept himself.

"I know what you're thinking," He began. "And I want to be the first one to apologize."

"Sorry's can't get you anywhere," She huffed, one arm concealing the tiny dagger behind her back."Especially not when all your friends are dead because of the person you loved."

He smiled. "Is that what this is all about?" He moved closer, so that only the iron prison bars separated them. In better times she would have longed to jump into his arms. "My feelings for you were true," He whispered something under his breath, though she could not hear it.

Their foreheads were touching.

Unintentionally, she matched her breathing to his and they stood there in silence. "My feelings have not changed, either." He said. "And I know you feel the same."

"You're a murderer." She tightened her grip around the tiny knife, getting ready to do what she came there to do.