CHAPTER 1: THE ASSASSINATION

For as long as Marley has known his father, the man has been absolutely fantastic with people

For as long as Marley has known his father, the man has been absolutely fantastic with people. Really, public speaking in general is his forte. He can work a crowd like no other. Though, Marley supposes, that's probably a part of the job description.

It's something Marley has always admired about Allorn Nocona. Maybe even envied.

The man is currently exercising his most valuable skill, speaking to an audience of over twenty reporters and another fifty of political officials and civilians and such. He's introducing a new person he's hired for a high position in the government. Marley personally doesn't believe it calls for a speech from the king of the Westhem, but hey, he's only seventeen and his parents have never had a problem pointing out his age and how he clearly doesn't know jack squat about anything.

Perhaps the most nerve wracking thing of all, however, is the fact that Marley will have to go out there soon and give a speech on his own about something that has to do with how this new decision will affect the youth of the Westhem. He has to do that a lot, and it doesn't get any easier, it doesn't help that he's not allowed to bring his keychain of knickknacks that tend to help with the stress of most situations. He's supposed to keep his hands in the hand motion zone and focus on the speech board and act like a member of the Nocona famiy, chin up and eyes not cast anywhere but screen and the audience.

It's exhausting.

With the nerve that comes from this, he should at least be paid. Even if the last thing he needs is money. Anxiety medication, maybe, but his father has never believed in that.

"You're, uh, you're out there in two minutes." A nervous looking intern reminds him before jogging away.

It's a guy, different from the girl from earlier who tried to put makeup on him a few minutes ago. He let her put some kind of skin stuff on that he can't remember. That was all he let her get away with, mostly because she caught him by surprise. She then tried to style his hopeless nest of dirty blond hair. It was to no avail and she actually got her hands stuck a few times. Marley just told her it was fine and it's not like the public isn't used to seeing it anyway.

After the intern walks away, he is left waiting there, trying to keep his sweating to a minimum–failing horribly–as his father begins finishing up.

"That said, I have put my trust in Executive Terran and I hope you all will as well. Here to speak about the effect of this new change to our Education Department is none other than my son, who will be affected by this as much as the rest of the students of the Westhem."

No Marley won't. He's homeschooled. His father doesn't seem to care, though.

Then one last smile from the king, a nod at a camera, and he is walking away to stand beside Marley's mother, turning and giving him an expectant look.

Okay. Here goes.

Squaring his shoulders and looking forward, he covers his nervousness with a smile and makes his way out onto the stage. He hears some murmurs and takes his place behind the podium, looking out over the audience.