Chapter 5 ~ Jubilee

The year was 2041 and the year began with the wedding of Princess Elizabeth. She was radiant in her 1940's classic style wedding gown, a gorgeous Cartier amethyst tiara and long white chiffon veil. Her best and dearest friend, Taflin, stood by her side as maid of honour.

This was just the beginning of the Silver Jubilee year. As of September 21, Tsarina Maria had been on the Russian throne for twenty-five years. The milestone would be celebrated all over the country with a tour of the vast country and a thanksgiving service at St Andrews Abbey.

As Maria sat at her table in the beautiful grand dining room of Inveraray Castle, Amelia played matchmaker with her good friend. The Tsarina was very much used to getting lots of attention but this time she a little unsettled by the situation. The man in question was Princess Elizabeth's Danish Godfather. Placed next to the Tsarina he was besotted by her beauty and charm.

It was a shrewd move by Amelia; Maria was ready for a new love interest yet her role as Empress made it hard to find someone who genuinely loved her for her. Fredrick, however, was a quiet individual who seemed to listen with intense interest as she talked. Getting up to adjourn to the ballroom he gave her perhaps the kindest and well thought quoted compliment. "Being both soft and strong is a combination very few have mastered."

"Who is that man?" Maria asked as she sat next to Amelia while most danced the Caledonian dances.

"Pr Fredrick Risager, a Danish widower, studied theology at Avondale after you left, married Grace," Amelia replied as watched as her daughter and husband. "Dance with him." She said with a cheeky glance at her friend.

"What?"

"Come on, he is sweet, well educated and he seems interested in you," Amelia said as she laughed.

"This all your doing isn't it?" Maria said as she smiled at Amelia.

"Guilty as charged," Amelia said as turned to Maria. "You have to admit that some company would be nice."

"Yes, all you say is true, but I am used to being by myself now. Besides, he is a minister."

"Maria, give him a chance."

"Alright!" Maria snapped back as they stood as the music for the waltz began to play.

Fredrick, being on the other side of the room was talking when Amelia came over. "I'm so sorry to interrupt Freddy, but the Tsarina wishes to dance with you." She said gesturing in Maria's direction.

Meeting Maria on the dance floor, he gave a little bow. "Well, I hope you can waltz." She said as she extended her hand.

"Yes, ma'am."

As Amelia watched on, she smiled. She wished to see her friend become happily married once again. By now it was common knowledge that before her late husband's death the Tsarina's marriage wasn't pleasant. So Amelia and Queen Catherine had engineered the meeting with the idea that the two should marry.

Maria very much enjoyed Fredrick's company and vice versa. In fact, after the Scottish wedding, the two often communicated it was the beginning of a new chapter in the Tsarina's life. There was once a problem with the match; Maria was a staunch Lutheran.

~~~

"Welcome home mother." Said Prince Alexei as he hugged his mother. "You look extra happy."

"Well, I met someone, he is rather sweet," Maria said with a shy smile.

"We have some news of our own."

"Oh."

"Jocelyn is pregnant. You'll be a grandmother."