Chapter 8

Marinette's POV

Marinette heard her mother say faintly, "Marinette?"

Marinette heard the creaky door swing open. Marinette could recognize her mother's footsteps, but heard another set of footsteps that were unfamiliar. A tall dark lady with a large afro appeared with a clipboard - Yvette Blanchard, and Mom was behind her. Marinette's worries lightened somehow.

Marinette felt better knowing that she was going to go home soon. Ever since she found out that she was a Miraculous holder, she was stressed out and sick to her stomach. Besides that;

Adrien is finally going to meet MOM.

"Mom?" Marinette said, wondering why she said it like a question.

"Wow. You're not dead. I'll have to try better to poison you next time." Mom said sarcastically.

Marinette said laughing, "This is why I don't let you cook for me anymore." Marinette glanced at Adrien, who was playing a game on his phone. Somehow that felt rude. It really did not matter though.

"I did not put it in your food. How do you think I poisoned you the first time?" Mom said picking up Marinette's bag. After putting on a constipated expression she laughed saying, "Excuse me Yvette, they allow children to carry anvils to school?"

The school nurse replied, "She doesn't have to carry an anvil. 20 lbs Encyclopedias are just as good for knocking pesky Math teachers unconscious. Right Marinette?"

Marinette replied, "Hey. I have no encyclopedias. Just because I got 30% in Math, it does not mean that I hate my Math teacher, Yvette." The nurse was a friend of her mother's. Yvette knew her back when Marinette was a kid. They went WAAYYYY back. But, Yvette did not want to be called by her first name at school, so Marinette just referred to her as 'the nurse'. Occasionally though, calling her Yvette was appropriate.

"But saying you are going to kill them does." The nurse/Yvette replied.

"You got 30% in Math?" Mom said feigning concern. In reality she was angry, but did not want to make a scene in front of the nurse and Adrien.

"Mrs. Cheng, you are going to have to sign some documents at the office." Yvette said.

"Can you get your boyfriend to carry your bag to the office for you? Mary, I'm kinda busy." She said, perfectly serious, almost as if she did not just call Adrien Marinette's boyfriend.

Disagreeing was pointless. Marinette turned to Adrien and said, "Kid, do you mind?"

"Mind what?" Adrien said in genuine confusion.

"See you later!" Mom said walking away.

"Is Alya still outside?" Marinette said, hoping to ask her to tag along too.

"I am pretty sure she is in trouble with the principal for beating up Nino." Adrien said.

"Wanna carry my bag for me? I still feel a little faint." Marinette asked.

"Not really, but it'll look bad if I say no." Adrien said picking up the bag with one hand like an idiot. He almost fell over. "What is in here?" He asked.

Marinette said proudly, "All nine installments of a book series called 'Vampire Regency'. Each book is fine print with 800 hundred pages. I wanna read them all before the movie comes out."

Adrien just shook his head.

Marinette finally jumped down from the bed. She felt like she just sprinted  a marathon. She felt horrible and dizzy. Standing up made the world spin. Her legs were weak.