Chapter Four

The next time I woke up, the first thing I noticed was that it was three fifteen in the morning. Such a time, in my opinion, should only exist as a concept, or when at a sleepover. The second thing I noticed was a cascade of flat stones being pelted at my window.

That confused my mostly sleeping mind. I was only awake enough to think 'how long was I asleep? Have stones evolved to be able to fly?'

Only two minutes, an agitated grunt from across the landing and about six million stones later did I realise that someone must be throwing them. And a millisecond of contemplation later, I decided that the mysterious pelter was Jessa.

I sighed and stood up, head still fuzzy from my previous, near comatose state. At least, that is what I am blaming for my now broken bedside table, which I did so not walk into. The oak cylinder lay sadly at the side of the miraculously still standing contraption. I huffed, and kicked it gingerly to the side.

I walked to the window and knocked on it three times. A final stone hit the glass, and slid off, down to the ground. Leaving a few seconds to be absolutely sure I was free from death by pebble, I slid the window up, and sure enough, below me stood my best friend. Her straight black hair blew in the slight breeze, and her tall frame was shivering slightly.

"Jessa!" I yelled down, "Why the heck were you throwing stones at my window? What do you think your phone's for, idiot!"

"Well, while it would perhaps have given a louder impact," Jessa yelled up, "I decided that throwing my phone would not have been the best option, as I only have one, which is easy to break."

"I didn't mean..." I trailed off, knowing that she'd just said that towind me up, "Anyway, what do you want?"

"My Mum's asleep and won't open the door. Please let me in Elsie-baby," She pouted, milking the shivering. While they weren't real, the tremors which wracked her 5'9 body were unnerving to watch.

"Alright alright, come round to the front." I sighed. Jessa imitated my happy dance from earlier, (which is odd considering she didn't see it. Great minds) and skipped around the side of the building. Her shivers had mysteriously stopped.

I shrugged on a Chikea (new word. Get it?) dressing gown, and walked out of my bedroom, elbowing Kyle's door shut on the way.

Once at the front door, I was greeted with a pale, blue eyed face pressed against the glass, with a tongue pointed out sideways, dangerously close to licking it.

"Thank you for finally addressing me Elsie Jane Brooke. I was this close," she said, indicating with her fingers, "To climbing up the drainpipe."

"Well thankfully, it didn't come to that. Now for that snide remark, you are sleeping on the sofa."

"Is it seriously only because I said that."

"No, you were always on the sofa. The spare bedroom is now Ky's dumping ground."

"Charming," she replied, pulling a face and trudging towards the sofa.

"Lie down Jessica," I said, sounding slightly dog trainer-esque. She did as she was told (shock horror) and I chucked a thick Chikea blanket over her.

"Sweet dreams!" I said patronisingly, as I flicked off the light.

"I shall dream of you beautiful! "

A/N: So many reads for my pathetic little story! Thank you everyone! I hope to keep up the relatively fast updates, but no promises. Thanks again, Abi xx