Chapter 10

"Miss, you'll need to get up if you want to meet the prince!" I heard a distant voice call out.

Then everything hits me in a rush. What happened last night? Why was I outside last night? How did I meet Prince Keefe already? Did he think I was crazy? How in the world was in the Selection?

Calla gently pulled me up, and I unwillingly followed. The girls laughed at my grumpiness and got to work on pineapple hair. Ugh, it still happened every night? Oh gnomes, what if Prince Keefe saw me in my bed hair! Groan.

Once they had finally detangled my hair, I was ushered into the bath; the girls didn't scrub as hard as they did previously. Mitya lightly sprayed my panakes perfume. I got sad and started thinking about home. I planned on writing to my family after breakfast.

When it was time to get dressed, I wanted something that reminded me of home. A particular dress caught my eye that evoked the memory of a certain someone's eyes.

Fitz's eyes.

I felt my eyes water up, but I quickly shook them away. I put on the dress, and thankfully my lovely maids didn't ask about my disconcerted expression or my puffy eyes, they only covered it with a little bit of makeup. Fortunately, they didn't do too much to my hair and put my hair into a messy but formal bun that had a braid across the top of my head, almost as a crown or tiara. 

I almost collapsed to my knees in relief when they put me in flats rather than heels, and because they pouted when I refused to wear anything other than Grady's necklace, I wore some pearl earrings that matched my flats. They draped a grey cape that had matching pearls sprinkled on and the Ruewen clasp on my heart.

I waved goodbye to Calla, Flori, and Mitya goodbye and bumped into Alison Glace, who gave me an icy glare with her bright blue eyes. She tossed her hair stalked off towards the parlor. I waited before I started after her, she was not nice. I eventually got lost and had to ask someone for help. I saw a guy with messy blonde hair and tapped his shoulder. "Hi, sir, I'm lost an-"

"Foster?"

I was shocked to find the prince staring back at me and blushed deeply. I managed a very ungraceful curtsy before saying, "Uh, Your Highness, it seems that I have lost the way to the sitting room. Could you direct me to where that might be?"

"I've got to go there anyway, you know, I have to meet the girls who are here for me. I'll walk you there," he replied with a smirk and a wink. I felt myself blush again but quickly snapped out of it. 

Yes, Sophie, he is good looking, but you are not here for him! He's a One for heaven's sake!

Keefe seemed to notice my immediate silence and scowl before asking,"So, sleep well last night, Foster?"

I looked up to meet his eyes and felt the heat rise to my cheeks but mentally shook it off. "Uh yeah, the walk around the palace helped quite a bit."

"You know I helped."

"No, you didn't," I say with a grin.

He wiggled an eyebrow as we opened the door and stood in front of it.

"Okay, you might have."

Shoot, Keefe was giving me the puppy dog eyes.

I sighed before replying, "Fine, you did."

The prince wore a triumphant expression before exclaiming, "Whoo-hoo! Victory at last!"

We both laughed until we realized there were eyes on us. Millions, there were thirty-five (Leto and the Selected) eyes in the room and millions more on the cameras.