Chapter 2

Princess Antoinette Faye woke silently, the room around her rocking gently to and fro. She rose from her bed, rubbed her eyes, and looked at herself in the mirror. She was nearly horrified. Her hair was a mess, nothing but a giant mass of blonde and pink. She nearly shuddered just by looking at herself. Her pale skin felt rough, probably from all her time aboard the pirate's ship, definately not an accommodating place for a person of her caliber. She got out of bed and combed her hair, making sure every last strand was in its proper place. Then she put on one of her favorite dresses, a simple one that stopped just below her knees.

        During all this she could not help but notice that the ship was rocking, but it wasn't moving. Demanding an explanation she marched out of her room, waking up Ismay as she went. Ismay was a fairy, barely any taller that 6 inches tall, with butterfly-like wings. She fluttered over to Antoinette and followed her out of the room and through the corridor. The ship was very expansive, Antoinette still found it hard to believe something of this size could float on the water.

        She arrived to a small metal door with the words Engine Room engraved on them, she pushed through into a large room filled with steam and humidity. Alex, the engineer was at the far end of the room, fidgeting with a wrench and muttering to himself, a small scowl on his face. "Of all the... uncharted territory... boiler can't take it..." What he was saying was broken, Antoinette couldn't make out all of it, but she at least understood that whatever he was mumbling about, he wasn't happy about it.

        "Mr. Alexander, why has the ship stopped so suddenly?" She asked politely, to a not so similar response.

        "Well, princess, we just had an encounter with the navy, resulting in some minor damages to the ship. And if that wasn't bad enough, our intrepid captain has managed to find a soggy old treasure map leading to a part of the world no one has seen or documented. And my name's Alex, I don't go by Alexander." He said frustratedly. Antoinette didn't appreciate his tone, especially the way he intentionally  put sarcastic emphasis on the word "princess", as if he thought it was a joke, though he knew it wasn't.

        "My title, Mr. Alexander, is nothing to scoff at. It is a position of power and respect and it will do you well to remember it." She said indignantly. Alex laughed mockingly.

        "You know, you act pretty high and mighty for a captive." He said, giving her a sinister smile. It was true, Antoinette was indeed not part of the crew. It only happened about a week prior, when Antoinette, Ismay, and her personal servant Dallas were captured. She wasn't even sure why or how it happened herself, but she was here now and she didn't seem to have a problem with it, which was what bothered Alex the most. He tried to tell Ty that something was wrong.

        "I just don't understand why she hasn't fought back yet, she's up to something." He had said, but Ty only responded with his usual smile and told him not to worry about it. Which, of course, only made Alex worry more. Alex didn't trust Antoinette, she was too complying, and that made him nervous.

        "I do feel that I have to ask: What were you doing on my island the day you captured me?" Antoinette asked.

        "Nothing really," Alex started, putting down his wrench and turning to face the princess. "We were just gathering supplies and aether crystals for our journey. The next thing we knew your guards were attacking us. We didn't want any trouble so we let them arrest us and the took us to the palace, as you well know."

        This is where Antoinette had to interupt him. "Aether crystals? I am unfamiliar with that term." 

        Alex looked at her bewilderedly. "You don't know what aether is? don't they teach you anything on... whatever island you came from?"