chapter two

❝ A SIMPLE HELLO COULD LEAD TO A MILLION THINGS ❞

— anonymous

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

[ REBELS BOOT CAMP ]

     EMBER LAUGHS UNCOMFORTABLY and stared at Diego. She was expecting him to tell her that everything that he had just said was all a joke, except, he didn't.

''Okay, okay,'' ember huffs. ''can someone please explain to me how I can tell whether I'm a witch or Kanay?''

Ember felt silly speaking that sentence out loud, but everyone was frozen around her and she was certain she wasn't dreaming. Diego flipped over his arms and pointed them towards Ember. Her eyes widen as she watched his tattoos glow. She began to take a few steps back, as he commenced to create some sort of bubble that was now floating in the air. Maddie clapped excitedly and touched the bubble and popped it.

Ember gasps in shock as the weather of the beach went from one hundred degrees immediately to negative ten degrees. It was so cold, snow began to fall from the sky. Ember hugs herself and glared at Diego with wide eyes.

''That's what Kanay's can do,'' diego protested. ''put out your arms and if you have a glowing tattoo, you're a Kanay.''

''And if not?''

''You're a witch,'' maddie answered. ''and don't worry, being a witch isn't that bad.''

Ember inhaled deeply, her teeth chattering in the process.

''Before I flip my arms around,'' ember shivers. ''can you do me a favor and turn off, whatever this was?''

Diego nodded and snapped his fingers, the snow suddenly stopped coming and the sun came back, warming Ember back up. Ember sighs and flips over her arms towards Diego and Maddie and looked away. Maddie and Diego studied her arms.

''Nope,'' diego shook his head. ''it seems that you're a witch.''

''A witch?!'' ember exclaims, her eyes shooting open. ''If I'm a witch why don't I have a wand or something like that?''

Maddie chortled. ''Honey, wands are lame,'' she snorted. ''we use our fingers!''

Ember stares at Maddie as she waved her finger in the air, while saying a sentence that rhymed. Maddie pointed at the beach ball that was lying in front of Ember. She watched in amazement as the line of magic reached the beach ball and turned it into a dog. Embers jaw dropped wide open.

''I-I can do that?'' she asked, pointing at the dog that was now running away. ''H-How?''

''Well, first thing you do is–''

''There you guys are!''

Ember shifts her eyes away from Maddie and Diego and spotted a girl in a red dress quickly running up to the group. When she reached Maddie and Diego, the threesome hugged.