A chase for freedom

It’s been a little over a year since I found my new gift, or maybe I had it all along without realising it but each week I’ve had to kill at least one or two people since they took us captive. I kill their assigned killings and they get their money’s worth and in return my mother stays alive.

Gradually we’ve moved from simple nods of acknowedgment and my silent name calling and cursing to first name bases. The man who acts in charge out of the two, grey eyes, is really named Alaric and brown eyes, Benjamin.

Usually I’m aggravated by there constent bickering but I have learnt to have a posotive and kind manner towards them or else I get punished severly because of their demeanful atitude.

“Our next stop is a small town in west Dorroburg but this place still believes in the witch trials so the slightest thing to make yourself atleast a little out of place, then they will surely come knocking on your door. And considering your gift, I’d watch out if I were you.” Grey said, a small piece of concern and worry penetrating his voice and creased brow.

I nibbled on my lower lip, uncertainty forming in the pit of my stomach.

“Are you sure we should be here then?” I asked.

He shot a warning glare my way, sending chills down my spine.

“Positive.” He said, gritting his teeth.

I backed down and kept silent, and just stared at the small children that giggled and chased our carridge to see who the new strangers were that had tesspassed into their home land. The adults however just gave us a curious glance and settled back into their work, not at all fased by the new arrivals.

As the carridge came to a halt, the gruff men made their way out as a hurred of children came to surround them. Alaric gave them a look of disdain and Benjamin set out to find our next victim.

Mother gave me a sympathic look that she always gave me since this horrible nightmare began. “You sure you want to do this honey?”

I raised my brows to the idiocy of the question. “ Do I have a choice?” I asked, but we both knew the answer to my question.

She gave me another sad smile and stepped out of the caridge, hiding me as I followed in her footsteps after a silent sigh of dismay.  I stayed behind her as we walked to a soft patch of grass to lay on, all the while keeping my head down as my nerves knotted my stomach and made it hard to breathe.

A comforting hand was layed upon my shoulder, making it easier to see the bright side of my situation, that I still had somewhat part of my family left by my side at this moment in time.

A small group of teenage boys walked past, laughing and shoving each other, tumbling in the dirt. As they walked past one of them called out “Witch! She’s a witch!” whilst pointing at me. His eye’s glistened with tears as he laughed uncontrollably.

My eyes widened in fear as I looked around at the possibility that someone had heard. Some heads had turned my way but I don’t think anyone truly believed the irritating boy.

I glared daggers at him as my nostrils flared and my eyes sent possibilities and threats to the boy. He didn’t know that he’d be putting my mothers life at risk as well as my own, I was certain, but that didn’t mean I was as forgiving. 

“Dude, knock it off.” A harsh whisper came from the boy next to him. He turned to me. “Sorry.” He apologized with a sorriful smile as he passed us. He glanced furiously at his friend and moved on, going his separate ways from the group.

“Oh come on Hunter! I was only playing around!” He gave a frustrated groan and stomped off, his friends in toe.

I gazed at the Hunter boy as he walked away shaking  his head as he walked to a dim litted house that had such charm and character.