Chapter 26

Tabitha didn't remember falling asleep but when she opened her eyes the sun had gone down to its afternoon pose, late afternoon by the look of the shadows. She smiled sleepily as she realized she was snuggled against someone.

She blinked and yawned, moving her head and looking up to find a peaceful faced Sebastian. His chest rose and fell against her arm which her sleepy-self had slung over him. They both must have fallen asleep. In the distance she could hear her phone ringing.

Grinning, Tabitha scooted away from him. The arm around her waist tightened its grip as if he didn't want to let go of her. Stifling a laugh, she reached behind her and took his hand, gently moving it next to him instead of around her. His lips formed a sleepy grimace, but he didn't wake up.

Tabitha got to her feet as quietly as possible, not wanting him to hear her with those keen vampire ears. She brushed herself off. Twigs and grass and leaves fell from her clothes and hair but she didn't mind. She ran over to her phone which had stopped ringing and turned it on, glancing over her shoulder. Sebastian still lay there, looking rather comical sleeping in the middle of his backyard.

Snickering Tabitha turned her phone on. There were three missed calls from Mom. Not surprising since no doubt she'd been expecting Tabitha home about an hour ago. Glancing over her shoulder one more time, she clicked the name Mom. She went into the kitchen, holding the phone to her ear and waiting for her to answer.

"Tabitha, are you still at Sebastian's? I know you said you'd be back for dinner but I thought you'd be home... I don't know, before dinner?"

Tabitha sighed, sitting down on the bar stool. "Yeah... well we kind of got... caught up in our training. But I'm packing everything up now and I'll be home in a few I promise. And tell Derrick we can talk when I get home."

"All right but don't get caught up in whatever you're doing again. I warned you not to get too involved with Sebastian. Please tell me you haven't."

By involved did she mean kissing him and getting her emotions, all mixed up over an immortal vampire? Then yes, she did. "No Mom, he's just training me. He told me he would, so that's what he's doing. Besides... we've been training for the past two weeks and you never seemed to care. And... I needed a break from Derrick. You know that."

"Yes, I do, so... just be careful and come home and have a good time with your siblings. Or at least try to."

"I will. See you soon."

Tabitha turned her phone off and sat it down on the counter, rubbing her forehead. She would have a real talk with Derrick and maybe even convince him to stay a little longer to help her out with Alistair and... Sebastian.

"I sympathize with your plight. Family can be so difficult," someone said behind her.

Tabitha spun around, her eyes widening in instant recognition. She would never forget that voice. A handsome, tall man stood in front of her dressed in a tieless navy suit with upturned collars.

"Alistair," she whispered.

Her hands went to her waist and when they couldn't find a stake they went to the counter.

Nothing.

The vampire smiled, leaning against the bar counter, his hands tucked into his pockets. His straight brown hair was trimmed in the back, two strands framing his face and those dangerous brown eyes. "I'm flattered. You do remember me. Keller wagered you wouldn't."

The hairs on the back her neck stood on end but Tabitha was too slow. Before she could spin around, a cloth slapped over her mouth. A hand wrapped around the waist, pinning her against a strong, muscular chest. She screamed into the cloth hoping she would wake Sebastian or maybe even get Emmeline's attention. But as the sedative seeped into her nose and up into her brain turning her thoughts to cotton, she realized Emmeline wouldn't come to her rescue. Alistair was her beloved. The love of her life. Why would she ever fight against him?