Chapter Twenty Three

The Empress' castle was beyond anything that Talyn had ever seen. It's tall towers reached into the sky, curving into elegant points that stabbed the clouds threatening to cover the moon. In the courtyard there was an enormous fountain shooting water into the air and creating a fine mist as it splashed back into the pool of water, reminding Talyn of a waterfall.

Talyn recognized some of the Orlesian nobles from Alexius' sentencing as she climbed out of the carriage. At least, she recognized the ridiculous masks they all wore. Josephine explained to her that it was part of the Game, the ridiculous name that Orlesian's called their politics. They were all slightly different, and yet completely the same. A slight change of color around the eyes, or the jewels or feathers embedded into the masks was all the difference you could make out between the sea of masks.

Talyn was the only one wearing a dress. The council, Solas, and Cole all wore the same red and blue uniform that showed their ties to the Inquisition. Honestly Talyn would have felt much more comfortable in the red shirt and blue pants they all got to wear.

Although, she couldn't deny that her dress was beautiful. It clung to her curves, the long sleeves accentuating the lean muscles underneath it. There was a slit up the side of the dress that went almost to her hip, revealing the azure swirls that were branded into her skin. The material was black and virtually see through, except for the dark lace that was tastefully placed along the sleeves, chest, and hips of the dress.

She definitely stood out, and it made her uncomfortable. However, she was eternally grateful to Josephine that she hadn't put her in one of the poofy monstrosities the other women were wearing. At least she could move comfortably. She didn't understand how the others could breathe, with their corsets so tight they looked like they were trying to fit into a child's dress.

She couldn't help her smile whenever she saw Solas staring at her in it, his eyes glued to her.

Their conversation last night had made Talyn feel more like herself again. And now that she knew that Solas felt the same way she did, she felt light as a feather. It was difficult to keep her mind focused on the task at hand, when all she wanted to do in this moment was be alone with the elf man. She had to keep reminding herself that the fate of the world was much more important than her love life.

Duke Gaspard's mask was just pure gold. Simple, yet efficient. He was waiting in front of the fountain for her, and upon her arrival stepped forward to the door of the carriage. He held his gloved hand out to her with a smile on his face.

Talyn accepted his hand and let him help her out of the carriage.

"Inquisitor Talyn, it is an honor to meet you at last." The Duke greeted her with a thick Orlesian accent.

Talyn's sensitive ears picked up on all of the muffled gasps and shocked, angry whispers upon the duke's greeting.

"That's the Inquisitor?! An elf savage?!"

"Look at those tattoos, she's nothing but an animal!"

"What is she doing here?!"

"What on earth is she wearing? Is that what savages think is fashion?"

Talyn was glad that her pale hair was down, and that it was dark outside. She could feel her ears burning with embarrassment. But she held her head high and pushed through it. This was exactly how the Chantry had reacted when the people proclaimed her to be Andrasate's Herald. She had already been through this, and she could do it again. She could handle their hatred as many times as she would have to, if it meant that she could stand over Corypheus' corpse.