Chapter One- Hollowgrove's Festival

Bright lights exploded in the darken sky, as cheers erupted from the town below. Children rushed around, holding sticks that burst into small puffs of purple and green. Laughing as they ran through the crowds, pushing and squirming as they did. The streets were lined with carts, selling delicious-smelling pastries and fresh cakes. Red lanterns hung from strings, swaying slowly in the air as the wind ruffled past. Dogs barked and cats meowed as the townsfolks gathered around in town square.

 The fireworks were caused by the one and only Prince Roman. His hands outstretched as bright light burst from his palms and fingertips and danced slowly into the air, where it would explode into millions of pieces that would burn out before it could become a danger. A wide grin on his tan face, his dark chocolate-colored bangs pinned back by small red pins. A crown made of silver and gold placed snuggly on his round head, and his white robe flowed behind him, whipping in the air. He let out a hearty laugh as children gathered around the wooden platform he was standing on. Watching with wide, curious and amazed eyes.

 "Ah! I see these children are enjoying themselves! Want me to really  blow your mind?" Roman asked in a quiet voice. The children nodded excitedly. With a grunt, golden dust blew from his nails, glowing in the dark. It took the form of a rabbit, then a howling wolf, until it was swept up into the air and twisted into a phoenix, with large, golden wings. It lifted it's head and let out a low roar, before it spun as fast as a tornado, and was taken by the wind and leaves. Leaving only a glimmer in the moonlight.

 As the children raced around, trying to collect the small amount of dust left, Roman was tapped on his shoulders by his guard. The guard whispered something in his ear, and Roman's dark eyes narrowed. He cleared his throat and quietly stepped away from the platform. Thankfully, everyone was to entertained by the light show to notice. He turned, and followed the guard down the streets where the festival lights could not reach, and where the darkness overtook.

 "This better be important." Roman growled, his face scrunched up in disgust as rats scurried by his feet. He kicked his feet out to scare them, and huffed. "You took me away from my people and the festival, for rats?" He hissed, assuming that the rats were the problem. The guard shook his head and led him over to one of the crop fields.

 Hollowgrove usually had a very good harvest, with the crops able to fill three buckets, But this field...it was empty. Hollowed-out, blackened shells of corn, pumpkins, and apples were all that's left. The apple trees were twisted and curled into each-other, with bare branches. The wood was as hard as stone and impossible to chip away. The earth was clumpy and hard. Shovels and pickaxes broke when they hit the ground. Water instantly dried up when it was spilled. Ugly, mangled rats and long, aggressive snakes were the only things around. The rats snapped and the snakes hissed at anyone, even Roman, came close to the uneatable pits laying about.

 Roman picked up one of the hollow apples as the guard spoke in a nervous voice. "You...you don't think it's that sorcerer that lives at the end of town, do you? He could have...I mean, you've seen his magic!" The guard blurted. The prince shook his head. "I don't know. We need someone, anyone that knows anything about this. Put posters up in town. Offer a reward, I don't care! Just close this place off from the public and don't let ANYONE in! I will interrogate that wizard.." He growled as he unsheathed his silver longsword with rubies engraved in the handle. The guard nodded and brought his hand to his head in a sloppy salute. "Right away, sir! We'll find someone that can help in the morning! I promise!"

 The guard stumbled away, leaving Roman alone. He growled and slid the apple into his pocket. "This isn't good...if someone can do this with just our crops...what effect will they have on people?" He mumbled. He looked up, using the moon to light his way, and took off down the street, in search of that dreaded man. Virgil, wasn't it?