Chapter 6

Tobias

I walked out of the hospital room ashamed. How could I? I hurt the one I loved dearly without even thinking about the consequences of my actions. 

When I was little, I made a promise to my mother and to myself that the only thing I had in common with Marcus was our dark blue eyes. My father was a terrible person who only cared about power. When I want younger, before my father became apart of the Council, he was a reasonable man. He loved my mother and my mother loved him back, like every other family. He was a strict and straight forward father with me, but not radical. 

That all changed when he got that dreadful promotion.

My mother was proud of my father when he got promoted to be on the Abnegation Council, like a wife should be. I looked up to my father, he seemed like a successful Abnegation man who worked hard to earn his potion. I wanted to be like him; a selfless, hard working man, who built his way up to bring pride to his family and faction.

Well, that all came crashing down one day.

It all started on a Monday afternoon. I had just finished a hard day at school when I came home to see my father sitting like a statue on our plain, grey couch. 

"How was school?" He asked plainly. It was a simple question he asked me almost every day, but by the way he said it, it sounded like he wanted to know something else.

"Good," I said quickly. I felt uneasy by his presence, and he could obviously tell. He had a slight smirk on his wrinkled face that resemble a bully watching a ant squirm underneath a magnifying glass. 

He paused for a moment, then stated, "The principle called me during work today."

I wasn't surprised. It was common for Abnegation students to get calls home from the principle and teachers of the school. Abnegation students have benefits when it comes to school. Teachers love Abnegation students mostly because of their lack of speaking. There is nothing a teacher loves more then a quiet and respectful student. Also, due to lack of talking among Abnegation students, we tend to become very good listeners. 

"So?" I asked slowly. My father usually never told me about calls coming from the school, that was usually my mothers job. My father wasn't a man who believed people should be praised for every little accomplishment. My mother, on the other hand, would bow down to me for every good deed I did.

"Why did you have to be like your mother, Tobias?" He exaggerated. "I raised you to be a powerful young man, an look what you do. You willingly help an Erudite?" He says while his voice increases.

That's when I remembered what had happened last Friday.

(Flashback)

It was near the end of the school day in one of our large lecture halls. Our teacher had been absent that day and the substitute had gave each student a small mathematics packet. Me, being the computer wiz i was, had no trouble finishing the packet with ease. After I handed the packet in, my substitute teacher thought that it would be a good idea if I helped some of the troubled students. I willingly agreed and went on my way to find a student in need of help. As I was passing through the Erudite clique, I noticed a small, blonde girl mumbling to herself, near the back of the classroom.

"Do you need any help?" I asked softly. She sharply turned her head around, I was afraid that she would get whiplash. She seemed shocked that I was talking to her. I wouldn't blame her, Abnegation and Erudite weren't ever close factions. 

"Uh... Yeah?" It seemed more like a question than an answer. I took a seat next to her and leaned over to read the packet better. I heard her inhale a sharp breath and her hands started fidgeting. She seemed nervous and I could understand why. Her faction friends must be looking at us, me, helping an Erudite, which was unheard of. 

I got back to work and helped her through her many mistakes. I never known of an Erudite who couldn't do simple math questions. When the final bell rang, I picked up my book bag and waited with the other Abnegation until every other student left the room. It was selfish to leave the classroom first, so we waited. As I stood patiently, I felt a small tap on my shoulder. When I turned around, I saw a petite blonde girl.

"I'm sorry, but I didn't seem to catch your name?" She asked flirtatiously. I tried to bury the fact that she was batting her eyelashes at me and answered her question.

"My name is Tobias," I stated plainly. "Yours?" 

"Cara," She stated proudly. I didn't know where all of this courage had come from. She looked nothing like that small blonde girl I helped with math problems, only moments ago. 

Before either of us could say anything, Cara was yanked away by another Erudite girl, towards the exit.

While I was waiting for the bus, I saw Cara again, but this time, she was with a shaggy haired boy, not much younger than me. It was obviously her younger brother by their great comparison. I could overhear her referring to him as Will. 

(End of Flashback)

I didn't know how to respond to my fathers question. I didn't understand why he was getting all worked up over this. 

"Answer me, God dang it!" He yelled. He took hold of my shoulders and pushed to the ground. On my way down, I hit my arm on our metal coffee table. I could see the blood spurring from my arm and onto the tan carpet. The contrast between the two colors was beautiful, yet horrific. The dark red stains made the carpet appear to be a bright white.

My father didn't seem to care about my bloody arm and yanked me up. He dragged me up the wooden stairs. 

"Have I taught you nothing? I thought you were a spitting image of me, but you had to be an Erudite enthusiast, just like your stupid mother!" He shouted.

He opened the closet door at the top of the stairs. It held most of our winter clothes and shoes, and was very cramped. I remember hiding in there when I was playing hide-and-seek with my mother once. My father scolded me for playing such a childish game and sent me to my room. I could hear the echoes of my fathers reasoning towards my mother from my room.

My father tossed me in the closet, as if I was week old trash. He slammed the door close, emerging me in complete darkness.