chapter one: commence

Rain, rain go away
Come again another the day
Little Eli wants to play
Rain, rain go away.

I dropped my books on the table and sat quietly. Rubbing my wet hair, I sighed and cried at the same time. Time flies so fast, no excuses and reason to stop every responsibilities. Quite long and very confusing. I'm like floating in the air and barely breathing. There is no light in my life, but there is in my dream. But I am living here,

in the dark reality.

I am Elinore Wilton, 20 years old. I'm a Filipina but I grew up here in France. My life is simple but it all changed when I was 17 years old.

I squeezed my stress ball and tried hard to think. What is the truth?

My thoughts were interuppted when my phone rang. It's already 7 in the evening and I just got home from school— the lake, actually. I make sure everytime after school, I visit the lake for some reason. Maybe for peace of mind and loneliness which I crave everytime.

I usually go home at eight but unfortunately the rain dropped. No choice, I badly need to go home.

"Hello?"

"Elinore!!! Hi!"

"Excuse me? Who is this?"

"Screw you! How could you forget my voice, you bastard?"

"Uhm?"

"This is Sarah! Sarah Smith, your friend. Wait! Let me rephrase that—  bestfriend."

"Oh crap! You're kidding me!"

After that, I dropped the call. Seriously? My heart starts pounding. I don't know what to feel. Should I be happy or?

Someone started to bang my door. I was about to stand up to open it but too late, someone already opened it. I peeked outside and saw her.

"Sarah?" I called her but after that, her body faded away with the wind.

"Hey, sis!" Nate poked my head. After that realization, I looked around and I'm still in the same position— but no Sarah spotted in my room. "Goodness! I've been trying to call you a hundred times!" He scolded me crossing his arms.

"Rara.." I sighed and a tear escaped from my eye.

Nate looked at me seriously, "Eli, she's gone. Get over it. Mackenzie is looking for you downstairs, she's waiting." After that, he already went out of my room.

Sarah's dead but I can't still get over it. My thougths felt so real, I heard her calling me. I heard her chuckle again and now I'm getting goosebumps. I miss her.

I stood up and went downstairs. I saw Sarah busy with her phone while sitting on the couch.

"What is it, Mackenzie?" I asked her. Well to make things clear, Mack is her nickname.

She indicated me to sit down beside her and I did.

"Girl, how are you? Gosh! I'm horridly worried when you disappeared earlier!" She histerically said using her aussie accent. She was referring earlier, I left her at the canteen.

I shrugged, "Woah, dude, I'm okay and sorry."

"By the way, I didn't know that Nate is your younger brother. How come you didn't tell me? And even in school, you're not even talking to each other." She curiously asked while looking at Nate who is now seriously reading his book. I don't even get it why girls love Nate, I mean, he's a total nerd—for me.

"Not exactly my real brother. We have different moms, okay?" I rolled my eyes. Nate and I don't talk a lot and we have our own business and we don't care for each other.