Chapter 11

The black knight and group of ogre scouts crouched in the darkness. He hated the smell which came from these creatures. He wished he had human troops like he had when he was a knight of Lorn. Except those days are over. His treachery will never be forgiven by the Knight Marshall. They were best of friends at one time. He watched Gwen and her group of protectors traveling away from the trader's village. He could have captured Gwen, but Suprum told him to let her go. He pounded the ground. It took him several days to circumvent the avalanche at the Teeth of Anglars. The ogres salivated as they watch Gwen's group travel pass them.

"Roland."

The black knight stopped. He did not hear his name spoken in years. He already knew who beckoned him. He turned, and the knight saw a dim figure in the darkness of the forest.

The black knight said, "Yes, dark mage."

The knight stood and bowed.

"Roland, you doubt me. You want to take the chalice and kill Gwen."

"No."

"Do not lie to me. I can tell. Remember, I was the one who gave you your powers."

"I want to understand your plans. I could have captured Gwen many of the times."

The mage Suprum came closer to him floating in a gust of air. The black knight was not scared. Suprum was hundreds of leagues away from him. The mage raised his right arm and pointed at him. Roland could not breath and went down in one knee.

"Please," the black knight said.

Suprum placed his arm back down. Roland gasped for some air.

The mage said, "Do not disobey me. I will tell you something, and then you shall understand, but never question my motives again."

The black knight stood.

"Leave us," Suprum said.

The ogre scouts ran back to camp.

The mage hovered away. "Follow me." The black knight walked behind the apparition. They came upon a high cliff which over looked over the valley. Roland saw the Misty Marsh and on his right, the invisible gates of Absalom. He only knew it was there because Suprum showed it to him on an ancient map. They stopped at the edge.

"Gwen does not understand what she is a key to my domination over all this land. There was a master mage named Cartrell. He ruled over the Eriels. He was their King. Cartrell was killed for his power and banished from their world. Cartrell's ashes is in the chalice."

Suprum chuckled. "She will make the plague spread all over the Kingdom of Lorn and Absalom and bring Master Cartrell back from the dead."

Roland did not understand how Gwen will bring back the mage.

Suprum continued. "Cartrell gave me his book of black magic to learn from. He wanted me to resurrect him. He had unfinished business with the Eriels."

The black knight said, "So, you just want me to watch Gwen and make sure she does as planned?"

"Just follow her, but at a distance. She will do the rest."

"Yes, master. Will I kill her?"

"No, she will come back to me in the end. She is my dark disciple like you. Except, she does not know it yet. Remember, just follow her. Do not make any contact."

The dark mages apparition faded into the shadows and disappeared. Roland smiled. The dark Mage did not know his own plans. He already knew about the mage Cartrell. The mages shade contacted him before he followed Gwen. The Cartrell's ghost told him he would have more powers if he took the chalice and bring it to the sacred mountain. The mage will kill Suprum. Except this mountain was in Absalom and the only way there was through the mystical gate. When the gate was open by John Trasta, he will take the chalice and bring back Cartrell himself.