Chapter One: Bellbottoms

Baby presses play is pressed on an iPod Classic

Baby presses play is pressed on an iPod Classic.'Bellbottoms' by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion starts to play through the headphones. Baby is a young man, slightly baby faced with a scar on his cheek but mostly covered due to his Long black mullet. His clothes he wears are black contrasting against the cheap Red gas station sunglasses that sits over his blank expression he seems to stay pretty stoic. He listens to the track, as he stares out the windshield gripping the steering wheel. He looked through the rear view mirror at the two in the back then glancing at the one guy on his side . On the right beside baby sat a beefy tough guy in his 30s. This is Sendak Baby but knows him as Griff he wears expensive black shades ,covering his creepy scarred right eye, along with expensive black business clothes. In the back a man in his mid 40s he looks alright, but you can tell he likes to party too hard. He too is also wearing expensive black sunglasses along with his expensive black suit. His name was Zarkon better known as Buddy and his wife Honvera, known as Darling, she was a younger lady in her early 20s with her white blonde hair pinned up. There's a hint of a over bearing perfume and seemed to hide beneath her black business clothes.
They all make eye contact then Griff flings his door wide open.
The young driver sits still his hands fixed on the wheel at ten to two. Watching his colleagues disappearing inside a 'CHASE' bank.
The song pauses for a second when it kicks back in, baby suddenly drops the strong, silent tough guy act and comes to glorious, joyous life.
Nodding his head swaying in his seat mouthing the vocals perfectly in sync. A slave to the rhythm he doesn't miss a beat. He's like a big kid in front of his bedroom mirror as he drums on the dash, shoppers pass, other cars cruise by. Baby is so immersed in the track, he flicks on the wipers. They swipe across the dry glass he moves with them in perfect sync.
A mother with a stroller passes by the infant inside notices Baby rocking out in his car. Baby sees the child watching in awe he waves the infant smiles at him giggling as they go by the mother coos. Then suddenly sirens began to get closer and closer he instinctively looks in his rear view catching blue and red lights out the corner of his eye. A police cruiser with sirens blaring, races up the street behind. Baby turns to watch the police car drive up and past him and the bank.
Another pause in the music luckily the police car doesn't return he lets a breathe out that he was holding
An urgent bass line hit through the headphones Baby looks to the bank. His goofy chairdance is over he's is stone faced and all business again. Over distorted guitars, the driver watches through partially foggy windows. Sees his colleagues ordering staff to hit the floor guns raised. He cringed inwardly watching the frantic people watching his group. The song reaches an interlude; a vocal comes in and Baby lip syncs every word as his eyes stay fixed on the bank.
"Thank you very much, ladies and
gentlemen."
A snare hits at the same time the alarm sounds off. Baby steels himself gripping the steering wheel watching his colleagues explode out of the bank, two bags full.
Baby revs in time with the snares as his colleagues get in. Our driver glances at the bank sign that read 'CHASE'.
He pops the car into reverse and stomps the gas, hard. The car screams back through the tight spaces between parked cars, makes a tight Rockford to face forward. Baby drops the stick into drive. Swerves wide onto busy traffic
"I'm gonna daaaaance."
The track blasting in his ears, building in speed and energy. Despite the velocity of the getaway, baby stayed calm at the wheel, weaving through traffic like a programmed computer. The other gang members lay low in their seats, shrug out of their black business clothes. They trade looks as Baby swerves on to a street police cruiser screams the opposite way zooming past them, then makes a 180 turn noticing their mistake. Baby looks in the rear view the cops slowly gaining up on him his eyes drift back in front of him he sees the light turn red he puts the pedal to the metal. He zooms through barely missing the on coming cars other drivers break hard around him. Cars crash behind him baby focused back towards the front, the track building with cracking snares. The police still coming up on his tail sirens wailing.
Baby comes up to an intersection he makes a hard right at the last second into a side street. Losing the police Baby tears down the narrow street, dodging dumpsters, and a semi trailer.
Baby floors it to the next cross street and swerves a hard left, directly in front of the cops pursuing the passengers let out of flurry of cuss words. Baby Stays calm and silent as he plows through another intersection, forcing the cops and all other traffic to brake.
The little red Honda Civic leaves the cops in the dust and tears down another straight with less traffic. Baby keeps the car steady sees way ahead cops coming head on
"I'm gonna break, I'm gonna break!"
Baby brakes, pulls hard on the wheel,accelerates through a 180 skid, roars in back the other direction with now only three cops on his tail. Facing the original cruisers, Baby crosses the double line, tears past oncoming traffic and quickly drives up a freeway ramp. No one saw it turn coming but Baby the three others give each other a look again. The Police are left behind but they had to lose the helicopter as Baby revs past the green light and into aggressive morning traffic. Baby eases between two other red Honda Civics so the helicopter flying above has to play find-the-lady.
Baby speeds up as he disappears under a bridge he forcibly switches spots with the civic closet to the exit as they come out from underneath he crosses to the shoulder and barrels away.
Horns honk at Baby as he blows through a intersection and disappears down an alley, weaving these back routes like a savant.
As sirens and choppers' blades slowly die down, Baby eases it down, He slows to see if any cruisers cross by ahead. One police cruiser glides by, sirens off. Baby waits on the bass riff again. Then floors it when the coast's clear. they soon pull into a covered parking lot underneath a quiet shopping complex and pull up next to a green Toyota Corolla.
And like that, the gang leap out of the Civic and into the switch car, money and guns covered up.
The gang swap places Buddy and Griff in the back. Baby shotgun, Darling drives Letting her hair down and pulls on a ugly but colorful sweater.
Baby closes his eyes, pretends to be asleep as Darling roars on to the street the Blues Explosion echoes out as baby drifts off to the next song.